Belated surgiversay & second surgery update

Jeff Z.
on 10/16/11 6:00 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 October 8th was my second surgiversary, but it seems like only yesterday I was sitting in a Cleveland, Ohio hospital room recovering.  I honestly did not spend much time thinking about it mainly due to the fact October 8th, 2010 was the day we found out my grams was terminally ill with brain, liver and pancreatic cancer.

One good thing is I cannot recall having a thought of regret regarding my VSG.  A few days post-op I was getting agitated and telling my mom this was a mistake.  I'll blame the crappy hospital soups and being on a liquid diet for a few weeks.

My first surgery has drastically changed my life and has given me back the majority of my independence, more confidence and has increased my self-esteem.  The other night I walked two kilometres without taking a rest.  I was gasping for air, I kept up a brisk pace and it felt good.  I did get a blister on my left foot, but my shoes are old and they tend to move around a bit on my feet.

Two years ago I'd be lucky to walk 20 metres before I already wanted to sit down (perhaps a slight exaggeration).

It is looking like my second surgery with Dr. Gagner for a revision to a DS will be happening somtime during the week of December 19th, which means I'll be spending Christmas in Montreal.  My goal for 2011 was to have my surgery before the end of year so that my goal of being as close to a goal weight as possible by my 28th birthday in January 2013 could be a reality.  So far the cards are falling into place.

Only downside now is having to book a gastroscopy!  I can vividly recall the last one and I am certainly not looking forward to another, heh!

Something tells me the next two months are going to fly by.

At any rate I just wanted to reflect a bit of my surgiversary and give an update about my impending second surgery to those who don't have me as a friend on Facebook.  Erica already gave me a what for when I said I was considering postponing until after the holidays, lol.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

Megan M.
on 10/16/11 7:07 pm - Canada
Wow, Jeff, you've really come a long way.  It's good to hear you have such a positive attitude about the rest of your journey, and that's a sure indication that you're going to continue to be a success story.  Congratulations and thank you for being an inspiration to us all.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Eileen C.
on 10/16/11 7:18 pm, edited 10/16/11 7:18 pm - Cornwall, Canada
Hi Jeff

First, I wanted to express my sorrow over your grams health issues, I lost my mother in law 3 1/2

years ago and it seems like yesterday, it can be a very tiring and painful experience.

Second, congrats on the great recovery and weight loss success so far.

Third, WOW getting the revision before Christmas, that will be great, you will do amazing as you can

tell from your success so far

Sending you healing vibes and warm hugs that all will be successful as well, have not doubt about it

Take care and please keep us up-to-date on your surgery and all of your WOW's as I am sure that

there will be many, and you are right, time will fly so hang on as you will be on another ride of your life.

Eileen 
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
heatherp
on 10/16/11 8:32 pm - BROOKLIN, Canada
Jeff, congratulations on your success and upcomming surgery!

Brenda T.
on 10/16/11 9:40 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Wonderful to hear your story Jeff. I don't have facebook, too much drama with my family and stuff, so it is great to find out about you.

Thank you so much for sharing and you are doing amaizing and I'm thrilled you are having the next phase done.

Please keep updating us, love to hear it.

All the best!!!

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

missingmanny
on 10/16/11 10:06 pm - Canada
Yay Jeff!  Good to hear from you, glad you're well....

HW 268  SW 261  CW 166GW 170 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com    

Karen M.
on 10/16/11 10:32 pm - Mississauga, Canada
So glad to hear you have a possible scheduled date - it'll be here before you know it.  Wishing you the best always, Jeff.  xo

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

sam1am
on 10/16/11 11:04 pm
Wonderful post, Jeff (except for the Gramma part - very sad).

I'm so excited for you getting the second part of your DS!  I'm thrilled that you got Dr. Gagne and looking forward to hearing all your future wows!

P.S. Can I be your angel again?

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jeff Z.
on 10/17/11 2:33 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Sure Sandy!

You know, I've already got a waiting list of people who said they'l GLADLY come to Montreal with me for the week if mom is unable too.  I think they just want to go shopping though, lol.

The stomach aspect is stillin the back of mind, however I'll cross that bridge when required as right now reducing it yet again was only a hypothetical possibility.

And yes, losing my grams still hurts.  There are a couple days each month now where something triggers me and I feel feel her loss more than any other day.  It is really going to be sad when I find out her house has been sold.  I can't imagine anyone else living there.  

Onward and upward though.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

sam1am
on 10/17/11 6:28 am
Awsome, Jeff! 

Hehe, well Montreal is a great place to go shopping!  Will your Mom be able to go?

I guess you'll have to discuss the stomach with Dr. Gagne, but I'd be pretty tempted to leave it as is as well.

I'm sure your Gramma is watching over you and very proud of you!  All new things, like the sale of a house, anniversaries etc. all seem to hit home, hopefully with time it will get easier.

I have changed email addresses and will pm you with my new one, later today.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics