Gas Pain

Sirene
on 10/22/11 5:41 am - Ottawa, Canada
I know some people on here  have mentioned having gas pain after surgery. I figured it was like , you know, gas pain. Like when you eat too much you get that very uncomfortable feeling of needing to burp, bordering on almost painful?

WRONG!!!!

Just so we're clear on the definition of "GAS PAIN"......I thought I was going to die. I couldnt even feel the incision sites compared to the gas pain. It felt like someone was squeezing my heart in their fist and I couldnt breathe. OMG it was the worst.

I walked and walked and walked the first night. I was up most of the night keeping the  nurses (who were friggin awesome btw!!) company. Everytime I walked it felt a bit better but I didnt really "pass" any gas until I got home.

I feel much better today. It's still there but very mild now.
But ya, I was totally not prepared for that when I woke up from surgery.

Jennifer  

MrsJButler
on 10/22/11 5:46 am - Canada
I hear ya on that I had my surgery on the 19th and it was awful until the next night when i could finally get some of it out, my neighbour's that it was kinda funny but totally understood what was going on.Good luck, I love walking now that it helps with that part of it.
LexiCocoaChanel
on 10/22/11 6:01 am - Toronto, Canada
Jennifer,

I was right there with you.  I did not walk much the first night but did quite a bit of patrolling the two days following and I had NO GAS (outside of my body anyways).  I could feel it travelling and it really hurt the back of my shoulders.  I found a warm shower helped and once I was home and comfy, I felt good.

I am having tremendous pain today and think I am going to take some MOM for relief.

Alexa
May 25, 2011 OS, June 9, 2011 NP, June 13 SW, June 15 NUT, Aug31 Dietitian Sep 8 Psych,
Sep 16 Surgeon  SURGERY: October 17, 2011!!

RW 292 OFW 288 SW 274 CW 249
  Liza.. is my                                 

Leanne1
on 10/22/11 6:54 am - Newmarket, Canada
Gas-X was my friend after surgery as well as walking...

Good luck

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

on_my_way2011
on 10/22/11 6:58 am - Canada
Glad you are home and doing well! 

I had a horrible pain in my left shoulder.  I am glad I knew to expect it or I would have thought I was having a heart attack!  It lessened considerably the next day and was gone by the third day.  Dr. Sullivan said you can't "pass" the gas that gets trapped in your chest, it has to absorb into your body, which takes a day or two.

I am not sure if the painkillers they gave me helped with the pain or just knocked me out so that I wouldn't feel it!!

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

Lynette1962
on 10/22/11 7:18 am - Whitby, Canada
I totally agree - the gas pain in my left shoulder/arm was friggin unbelievable ..... and was way worse then the pain of my abdomin.  
Although walking helped a little - no one could of prepared me for that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have reached my goal weight ..... and LOVE my RNY !!!!!!!!!

carla427
on 10/22/11 7:21 am - Canada
 Hi Jennifer

I am now in the same room you were in. They moved me to the bed you had last night and now I am in the bed beside the window because Tiffany went home today.  I have had terrible pain too but dont know if it is from gas. I havent really let go of any either so hopefully it will soon.  They are keeping me pretty drugged up to help!!  Did you have Sue as one of your nurses? She was amazing!  The nurse I have today is great too, her name is Ruth.  I will most likely go home tommorow, so thats good.Sorry I missed seeing you here!  Hope you feel better soon. Keep walking!

Carla
Sher1ock
on 10/22/11 7:25 am - Canada
 Glad you are feeling a bit better!!!  I think we sometimes get misled by the term "gas pain" because we seem to associate that term with the feeling of having gas trapped INSIDE our digestive system.  This is gas trapped OUTSIDE our digestive system with nowhere to go and not a normal sensation at all, so there's really no way to prepare for it.  I was miserable with it as well, but at least I remembered how crappy it was from my gall bladder surgery a few years ago.

It will get a bit better every day...hang in there!

Monica M.
on 10/22/11 7:50 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
yeah..fun, eh?

BrigitteD
on 10/22/11 10:41 am - Sumerstown, Canada
So sorry you had pain like that, will know know that i'm not having a heart attac when my time commes!  Take care!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Most Active
Recent Topics