Still have pain at one incision site

Sirene
on 11/4/11 11:07 pm - Ottawa, Canada
So I am 16 days out and still have pain at the large incision site on the left.
In *my* opinion, it shouldn't be as hindering as it is, but then again, I am very impatient.

The rest of the incisions have healed perfectly, no pain or soreness, very little bruising and hardly even a mark. The big one though, still gives me trouble when I try to lean forward or reach for anything. It causes difficulty getting in and out of the car, rolling over while sleeping and even just reaching across the counter! Even a deep breath will sometimes give a sharp pain at that incision site.

It's not hot, or red, or swollen, otherwise I would have called the WMC in Ottawa already. I don't have a fever and it diminishes if I take some Tylenol. I am not worried about infection.....just worried I guess that I did something to hinder the healing process. I have to admit that my first week out of surgery was a very difficult one and I was not able to get the rest that I needed/wanted. I feel like I may have overexerted myself and caused damage.

I guess I am just wondering, how was your pain level 2 weeks out??
Should I be at all concerned or am I just being impatient and try to get more rest?

Jennifer  

Leanne1
on 11/4/11 11:20 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I had almost no pain at 2 weeks out.

Sounds to me like you are just being a little impatient reeeelax and take your time resting, walking and sipping.
Lana_Banana
on 11/4/11 11:37 pm - Oshawa, Canada
 I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and I haven't had much pain but one of y stitches broke in the big incision and its taking a little longer to heal than the others. I get a little pain sometimes but it's not constant. I don't think its abnormal, I think you should just take it a little easier :)
Feel better soon.
sam1am
on 11/4/11 11:44 pm
 My larger incision was tender for a few weeks.  I don't think I would have called it sore after 3-4 weeks but definitely tender for at least 6 weeks.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Manda M.
on 11/5/11 1:02 am
I'm 1 week out and my incision where he did all the work is giving me the most trouble. It's tight inside like the muscle underneath was butchered. Tylenol helps it a little but the pain def holds me back from walking as much as I'd like. All my incisions are clean and beautiful so I'm just waiting for my doc appointment next week unless the pain becomes unbearable.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

Lynette1962
on 11/5/11 1:07 am - Whitby, Canada
The incision left of my belly button continues to cause me daily pain...as with you, rolling over, reaching across the counter, bending forward to pick up something (say my purse or tie my shoes), reaching to my left (say to close the door to my car) causes me increased pain.  
As with you also - there is no swelling/redness etc.....

I am thinking......it is where most of the surgery was done so I am just trying to be patient as my body heals.  Taking some tylenol when it get's too bad......and trying to rest when I can. 

I am now 22 days post surgery.....

Hope that helps. 

I have reached my goal weight ..... and LOVE my RNY !!!!!!!!!

happypants
on 11/5/11 3:03 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Jennifer,
I had discomfort on my left side as well and asked Aspen about it because I was concerned. She said it take longer to heal at the large incision site because that is where the camera went etc. Aspen also explained that the pouch sits to the left as well and that ofter times we may be experiencing a build up of gas, plus lots of healing is still going on. 

I'm over three months out and I have discomfort on the left side still. Sorry if this is TMI but if I need to have a bowel movement I can sometime feel it up high on my left side. I know this might sound strange. I asked the at the WMC and was told that it was more than likely gas. 

I also notice that if I get to much air in when I drink I get the same kind of pain\discomfort. Its not   an awful pain but more of a uncomfortable feeling.

I really hope you find some comfort soon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Lorraine M.
on 11/5/11 4:54 am, edited 11/5/11 4:55 am - Canada
Hi Jennifer,

Be patient. I had my surgery on Oct 11th and the incision on the bottom left side seemed to open up a bit and is now rehealing. (i am a slow healer). I also had a drain on that side in the hospital. It doesnt hurt all the time, just the odd time when I move a certain way it kind of jabs me. I guess I am just getting little reminders to take it easy. I see my surgeon on Monday but I am sure it is ok.

You have been through a lot. Take the time to rest and heal yourself.

Manda M.
on 11/5/11 5:30 am
Oddly enough my sore incision is on the right but Dr. Jackson told me that's the one he worked out.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

Leslie W.
on 11/5/11 7:09 am - Cobourg, Canada
Im 25 days out and still have pain on left side. Feels like a stich or a hot poker, shrap and stabbing. Have had it since surgery. While it is better than say last Monday still there. I called the nurse navigator at TWH Monday and her suggestion was to take tylenol. If it helped then most likely inflammation. Some times it is the way they stich us up.
If I dont move it doesnt hurt. When I bend over right over one of the ports is stabbing. I would say you are normal. If it gets worde instead of better I would be concerned

My symptoms are exactly the same as you describe.

The rest of the incisions have healed perfectly, no pain or soreness, very little bruising and hardly even a mark. The big one though, still gives me trouble when I try to lean forward or reach for anything. It causes difficulty getting in and out of the car, rolling over while sleeping and even just reaching across the counter!

Leslie

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics