Serous Fluid....umm....eeewwww???? TMI

Sirene
on 11/13/11 10:26 am, edited 11/12/11 10:40 pm - Ottawa, Canada
So I was getting undressed and unconscously scratched the large incision site (it's SO ITCHY!!!!) ...which I have done before without incident, and suddenly my finger was wet.

I looked down and there was STUFF leaking out of my perfectly healed scar!!! (or so I thought!)

It is a pin***** sized hole and when I pressed down around it to get a better view, since its still a bit swollen, it started ooozing out!!

OK...I TOTALLY freaked out and started to cry, panicked, woke my Honey up (who works nights) and then called Telehealth. She went through the whole spanish inquisition and then said it is called SEROUS FLUID

I have to call Aspen in the morning to try to get in to see her, but for now she said just to put a clean dressing on it and try not to worry.

OBVIOUSLY, she doesnt know me very well!!!

I am calm now.....still totally grossed out, but calmer.

Does this happen often at 3 weeks out?? I know early on it is possibly that it oozes a little...luckily Aspen had given me some bandages to take home since she knew what I was going through my first week out. But at 3 weeks?? My scars looked perfectly healed before this....maybe just a little dry and flaky in some spots, but thats it! No scabs left or anything!

Ugh.....I am so grossed out.

Jennifer  

Jennifer D.
on 11/13/11 10:35 am
Caution signs include a smelly discharge, redness, inflamation and fever. If you don't have any of those you should be OK. They might just drain it.
Sirene
on 11/13/11 10:39 am - Ottawa, Canada
There is no smelly discharge, redness, inflamation or fever....the telehealth nurse went through all that and more.....she just said to have a doctor check it in the morning but in the meantime to put a dressing on it and just go about my normal routine 

Jennifer  

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 10:36 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I sprung a leak after my tummy tuck.  It squirted out of me like a bad spaghetti western blood spewing scene  It slowed down and eventually scabbed over and healed  Mine looked just like a tiny pin hole as well
Sirene
on 11/13/11 10:40 am - Ottawa, Canada
lol @ "sprunk a leak"
gross...but funny...

Jennifer  

Sunnydaz
on 11/13/11 1:52 pm
I had this happen after my C-section.  The others are correct as long as there is no smell, fever, etc. you will be fine.  It's always good to have it checked of course!
Monica M.
on 11/13/11 7:39 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
clean dressing, don't panic, perfectly normal.

Catw
on 11/13/11 9:14 pm - Arnprior, Canada
When this happened to me, Aspen said that the incision was iritiated.  Sounds like it's not infected, but she may want you to take some antibiotics as a percausion.  (sorry can't spell today). 

Don't worry, as everyone has said, it's normal.

Cathy

Leslie W.
on 11/13/11 11:26 pm - Cobourg, Canada

It is most likely just a small collection in a pocket under the skin. As long as it is clear/pinkish I would not worry. Keep it clean and dry  watch it if the color changes/gets smelly/ site gets red.
It can happen that it starts leaking. You are probably doing more now than 2 weeks ago and swelling going down.
It can be scarey but this does happen.
Hope you feel better soon.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
babycat35
on 11/14/11 1:44 am - Gilbertsville, PA
This has happened to me. About the same time I think. I woke up with blood all over my pjs and when I looked under my shirt, there was blood all over my stomach. It was so gross. And have no idea how it would have opened because it looked so healed. But there was a little hole in it when I got all cleaned up and had it dry again. It is scary and I don't blame you for being worried. Just keep the dressing on it and keep it cleaned and you should be good. Have a good week!
Most Active
Recent Topics