I love my CPAP machine

chipmunk_roasting
on 11/24/11 1:10 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
I do, I really, really do.

It's new to me;  I started using it a week ago and I have had six nights of consistently good sleep.  I have not had good sleep in at least ten years.  This is a remarkable thing.  I am delighted.

I didn't know how poorly I was sleeping and how bad I felt until I started getting quality sleep.
What a stunning (to me) revelation.

And, you know?  I am highly hopeful that post RNY surgery I won't need the CPAP for long, but even if I do, even if the sleep apnea is not resolved by surgery, I will not be complaining about the need for the CPAP.   It's made such a difference in my life in just six days (and six comfortable nights).

Just feeling so good, I had to share.  :)

Cheers!

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Kerry F.
on 11/24/11 1:32 am - Bolton, Canada
I remember loving my CPAP machine too.  I found out I had sleep apnea when I was pregnant 8 years ago.  I wore it religiously and loved my improved sleep (and my husband loved the absence of my snoring!)   I am almost 6 months post-op now and haven't used my CPAP in a month, and just last week I put it away in its case in the closet.  No more snoring, and I sleep like a baby.  I loved it but I loved letting it go too!! 

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

Ready2ChangeMe
on 11/24/11 1:39 am - Canada
Hello,
I share your joy too...I love my CPAP machine and really had NOOOOO idea how bad I was sleeping till I started using my machine....I no longer need daytime naps...I no longer nod off at meetings or at work....and no more getting up to pee 3-4times at night....I am recommending it to everyone i know......lol. I do hope I get rid of it post surgery only because I am breaking out where the straps touch my face... but a really small price to pay for what I now know as a VERY PEACEFUL, RESTFUL nights sleep!
Sweet Dreams....

Peel1234
on 11/24/11 1:57 am
I really love my husband's CPAP machine.....I get a great nights sleep when he keeps it on.   LOL
He's a whole new man with his CPAP,  he doesn't fall asleep in meetings or by 9 pm.  enjoy.  Diane

Will take a kayaking trip summer 2012, freedom

TBIYTC
on 11/24/11 2:44 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
Glad to hear you love it.  I'm sleeping much better with my CPAP too.

By the way, would you mind explaining "chipmunk roasting".  It is so original, but I'm hoping you don't really roast chipmunks - they're so cute!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

chipmunk_roasting
on 11/24/11 3:13 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
Thanks, TBIYTB

It's a seasonal thing -- as in the Christmas song "chipmunks roasting on an open fire..."

I'm not using them as protein.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

jama30
on 11/24/11 3:41 am
I kinda know how you feel.  I have a bipap machine.  It's been a good night sleep for me too.....and my energy levels have drastictly improved too,,,,,,,,,  awesome machines.........  surgery will likely improve things too, i'm hoping so

Kathy R.
on 11/24/11 5:44 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 01/27/12
Wow, I'm kind if jealous...I'd like to hurl my CPAP machine against a wall.  I can't stand it.  I've never been able to get used to the stupid thing and I still never feel refreshed because I'm up half the night feeling uncomfortable with it.  I can only sleep on my back for so long and the hose drives me crazy and makes it almost impossible to turn over when I want to.  I always seem to rip the stupid thing off in the middle of the night just to get some sleep. 

What type of mask do you use?  Do you have the full mask or just the little nasal pillows (that's what I have).  I've had the machine for 4 years and used it religiously the first 6 months until I got a really bad cold that I couldn't breath with the mask on.  I must admit I've used it sporadically since then but everytime I try I end up feeling worse.  Do you have any advice to make things easier?
Kathy         StevesGal (Beth) is my wonderful angel     SURGERY January 27, 2012
HW: 297  Weight at referral: 285  Weight 1st appt: 276  Start of Optifast: 262

jama30
on 11/24/11 8:38 am
i use a full face mask........... i usually start out laying on my side but end up on my back and stay that way for the night and in the same spot,  no more bathroom breaks, no more tossing and turning.......  on a funnier note......... when i first got the machine,  i was dreaming there was a bug on me and just about tossed the machine onto the floor,,,,,,,,,,,,
flyingwoman
on 11/24/11 9:08 pm
 Consistent use helps. A PAP "conditions" your soft palatte over time and if you use it inconsistently, you will have more frequent discomfort (and success) with it.

Is your pressure set very high? I had four months of terrible struggle on a CPAP with a pressure of 18 feeling every night like I was being suffocated, particularly while breathing out, and it turned out I needed a different type of machine - a BiPaP. Once I made the switch my sleep and comfort improved within a week.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Most Active
Recent Topics