3 weeks post op with lots of questions

TNTL
on 12/18/11 8:06 am - ottawa, Canada
 Hi there,   I am new to this site and am looking for some added support. ho

I am just about 3 weeks post op.   Surgery was on Nov 28.  I am finding it difficult to get in all of my protein.   I am not sure if I am getting enough and for that matter I find it hard to judge when I am no longer hungry.   I am sticking with a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food per meal.  I am trying to have the majority of the meal as protein.   I am also finding it difficult to get in all of the water that I am suppose to since I have to stop drinking 30 min before meals and an hour after meals.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Leanne1
on 12/18/11 8:21 am, edited 12/17/11 8:25 pm - Newmarket, Canada
Welcome to the board

Wow, up to a cup of food already? i was barely able to eat a whole egg 3 weeks out.

What are you eating? Some of us post on a thread called "what are you eating/doing?" It's a great thread to check out. Many different ideas and we are all at different stages of our journeys.

You could weigh and measure your foods. Did your center give you an outline of what to eat, try, when, and how much? You should try and stick to that for a bit.
TNTL
on 12/18/11 8:37 am - ottawa, Canada
 Yes, it seems like I am having no problem eating any of the food which is a good thing I suppose.   I have seen the NP and was told to start on soft foods about 10 days post op.   

I have been weighing and measuring my food.   I have been following the book that was given to me at the hospital.   I have been sticking to what they recommend.

I was expecting to feel full all the time and to not be able to eat more then a spoonful of food at a time but that has not been the case from the beginning.

If it wasn't for the surgery scars, the minor pain and the lack of energy  that I still have, I would wonder if they did anything at all 

My weight loss has been slower.   Perhaps it is because I do not have as much weight to lose as others.   At least this is what the clinic has told me.

I guess I am feeling somewhat discouraged.
Leanne1
on 12/18/11 8:53 am - Newmarket, Canada
Don't be discouraged, it really does take time to re-learn how to eat!
Are you weighing yourself everyday? That will drive you absolutely crazy. There is also a thread on here "Monday morning weigh in", if you want to check that out. People weigh themselves on Monday mornings and post their progress. Everyone loses at a different rate and you shouldn't compare yourself to others.

I weighed and measured my foods religiously for about 7months. I have a pretty good idea now of about what foods weigh just by eyeballing it BUT it took time ;)

I had TONNES of energy, right out of surgery even (I went up to my room on a stretcher, jumped into my bed, ran to the washrrom cuz I refused to use a bed-pan and hopped back into bed; I even got into trouble for walking too much).

How much weight do you plan to lose? My highest weight was 245lbs, my goal was to lose about 100lbs but I have surpassed that completely and now weigh 123lbs, at least that's where my body likes to be ;)

Every morning we do the "what are you doing/eating?" thread. You should really check it out. It will give you some ideas and whatnot.

One day at a time :) You'll get there sooner then you think...

TNTL
on 12/18/11 9:05 am, edited 12/18/11 9:06 am - ottawa, Canada
 I will do my best to check out those posts.

My highest weight was 247 lbs and I was 230 lbs the morning of my surgery.   At this point I am at 218 lbs.   I would like to get down to at least 145 lbs.

I go to see the NP on Jan 12 for follow up.   I will have blood work taken at that time and this might be able to identify the lack of energy.   Here's hoping.

thanks for the input and suggestions.

Leanne1
on 12/18/11 9:11 am - Newmarket, Canada
:) you're welcome!

It may just be, because you just had major surgery, and you may find that your energy will start coming back soon, something else that takes time. But definitely find out thru bloodwork.

Are you taking vitamins?
magpie4495
on 12/18/11 10:27 pm - Canada
Hey there - I'm two weeks out today (Dr. Yelle).  I am not having any issues eating like you - and have moved on to the soft food stage with Aspen's approval.  I am getting about 40g of protein from food and the rest is still from Isopure and one Premier shake a day.  Like you I'm struggling with getting fluids in but I am really trying to get this done as I know that fluids are key in loosing. 
I have lost about 11 pounds since the morning of my surgery and was told I would be a slower loser than some others.  I have been riding the scale everyday and it is not healthy....however I have officially cleared out my closet as there is nothing in there that fits me anymore. 

Take it day by day and focus on your fluids and protein.  I am trying to figure out what our daily caloric intake should be and will go back to our little meal planner to see if I can find it.  I have been using Myfitnesspal.com and this helps with tracking meals and intake.
HW: 260lbs  Pre-Optifast: 257lbs  SW: 242lbs  Happy: 150lbs SG: tbd 

Referral: January 2011, Orientation: July 8/11, Nut/Behav: Aug 22/11 Education Class: Nov 2/11 
Surgeon Appt: Nov 1/11, Surgery: Dec 5     

C. McMillan
on 12/19/11 6:19 am, edited 12/18/11 6:24 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I was in the same stage as you soft food stage with Aspen's approval and getting half my protein from food and half from Shakes.

Until Saturday - it didn't start well as I posted previously breakfast didn't stay down. I went out in the afternoon. It was great. I was still on 3 medications for my High Blood pressure. Well all of a sudden I felt like in the morning so I got up to walk to the bathroom - I didn't make it there. I came to on the floor after passing out. They called 911 and the paramedics came. Needless to say I was embarassed. They couldn't get a BP and my heartrate was irregular. They decided that I had to go into the hospital. I said I would only go if they would take me to the Civic - I wouldn't go to any other hospital. So they took me there. I just got discharge and I am now home. My bp was 86/42. One of the 3 medications I was taking included a diaretic in it. With my weight loss and still taking the 3 meds and the diaretic as well as not having enough fuids - made my BP drop. They gave me massive amount of iv fluids and check me out well 2 cat scans and lots of blood work and urine tests. My BP is up now and I'm off 2 1/2 of the 3 BP meds and I have to follow-up with my GP on Friday.

The moral to the story is never stop sipping it is too important. Sip, sip, sip. I now have a cup permenantly attached to my hand.

Surgery:02-Dec-11 Highest: 344.6lbs  Pre-Optifast: 329lbs  Surgery: 311.6lbs  Current: 221lbs  Goal: 200lbs  

magpie4495
on 12/19/11 9:19 am - Canada
Oh my goodness Carol - glad you hear that you are doing much better.  I am attached to my water bottle but still finding it a challenge.  I am having plumbing issues...not sure if it is the lack of fibre...trying to add in more fruit and veg but there is only so much room.  Keep us posted on how you are doing. 
HW: 260lbs  Pre-Optifast: 257lbs  SW: 242lbs  Happy: 150lbs SG: tbd 

Referral: January 2011, Orientation: July 8/11, Nut/Behav: Aug 22/11 Education Class: Nov 2/11 
Surgeon Appt: Nov 1/11, Surgery: Dec 5     

charolli
on 12/18/11 8:24 am - Canada
I am a week ahead of you...had my surgery on Nov 21st. For me i was adding unflavoured protein powder to almost every meal. For soups i would wisk a half a scoop into it and stirred half a scoop into SF puddings for snacks. Since that would give me 14 gms of protein each time, along with my protein shakes i would easily get in 60 - 80gms a day. I have also been challenged with getting all my H20 in but as soon as my 30 minutes were up i would start sipping. Even a litre is better than none. Just do your best every day and hang in there!

RW 272; OW 248; preopW234.5, CW 168
Referral August 2010, Ort May 25, 2011, Surgeon consult Sept 9, 2011, Surgery Nov 21, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics