Realistic goals early out

Penny85
on 12/19/11 12:02 pm - Guelph, Canada
I had a couple quick questions for those who wish to answers.
I am 5 days out and I want to know if I am walking/consuming enough.

Walking:  Today, I went outside for walks for a total time of an house (split up into 10-20 mintue intervals) as well as walked around the house and up/down the stairs.  Does that seem like enough walking?  I am still in a bit of pain, especially after walking.

Drinking:  While in the hospital I drank what I drank, I didn't really keep track.  Now at home, today I drank about 1200mL of Crystal Ligh****er, plus about 500mL in broth and jello. Being on clear fluids I don;t have a whole lot of choices and I'm not sure if I'm getting enough.  With the meds I take for my intercranial hypertension I can very easily get dehydrated so I'm pretty worried about not getting enough fluids in.

Protein:  Am I wrong in thinking I am getting absolutely no protein?  Do I need to be adding protein powder into my clear fluids, or do I not worry about getting protein in until I am a little further out?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Pre-opti-  289 lbs    Surgery-  283.8 lbs    Current-  209 lbs    Surgeons Goal-  180    My Goal-  150 lbs

Referral sent - June 2010          Surgery date - December 14, 2011       Referral to surgery - 18 months

djc3791
on 12/19/11 1:27 pm - Toronto, Canada
It sounds like you're doing really well with walking and water, way better than I was at your point. 

As to your protien intake are you drinking protien shakes?  If all you're eating is broth and jello, then you're doing really bad.  Didn't you start on protien drinks in hospital? 

Donna
 RNY  10/31/2011  Dr Rotstein   St. Mike's   Toronto

torytt
on 12/19/11 2:05 pm

HI Penny,
Congrats on your surgery.  I did not go through Hamilton but I would suggest you check the booklet they gave you at the nutrition class. I know Humber discharges you with an additional copy so they are sure you know what you should be eating when you get home.
As for water intake, I believe most centres advocate 6-8 cups of water per day.  Whatever water is used in broth and jello can be included.
If you can't find the booklet, I would suggest you can the NUT at your centre.  Their job is to help you with your post op diet.
As for the walking, good for you.  If it hurts to do so, I would ease up until the discomfort is gone.
Best of Luck!
TT

Nadine W.
on 12/19/11 2:36 pm - Hanover, Canada
In Guelph they do not like you to get protein through shakes and prefer that you get it through food. They know that you won't be getting the protein in in the beginning and that is ok. Water and walking wise you are doing awesome! Keep up the great work!!
Nadine
Refer June 4/10, Orientation Dec 16/10, Nut, SW & Nurse Mar 16/11, Internist Apr. 19/11, Nut May 3/11, Nut Class Oct 5/11, Dr. Pereira-Hong Nov. 1/11, Surg Jan. 4/12, Cancellation! New surg date Nov. 10/11. The rest is still unwritten...

JJ_
on 12/19/11 6:22 pm
Congratulations Penny! 

Do you feel you are overdoing the walking?  The only reason is you mention that your pain is increasing because of it.  Your pain should be well managed by medication, not being increased.

Drinking.  That is a great start!!  Way to go.  If you have additional health issues, you will be working on increasing the amount of fluids.

Protein. -- If your centre does not ask you to add protein at this point, then you are okay.  In Ottawa, we are encouraged to add protein.  I bought some unflavoured protein that I measure and then add it to SF pudding or broth (not warmer than 130F or it will curdle) or even the crystal light. 

Overall it sounds like you are doing well.  Congratulations!

Judy
Sirene
on 12/19/11 7:28 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I agree with other posters in saying that I think you are doing awesome with water and walking!!! Congrats!!

On the protein front, my first instinct is to say to switch out some of tha****er for protein supplement instead....HOWEVER, again I agree with previous posters in that you should really check with your centre to find out what you are supposed to be doing.

Good luck!!! Sounds like you are well on your way!

Jennifer  

MisterDiminishing
on 12/19/11 8:31 pm - Windsor, Canada
Penny, I was able to get 8.3g of protein on my first full day at home. It's very hard on the limited selections from the clear liquids eating guidelines specified by the Ontario program. Try soup broth. For example, Campbells 25% less sodium Chicken Broth has 3g per cup. I also have Beef and Vegetable varieties on hand.

sillycat
on 12/19/11 8:32 pm - Canada
Hi Penny,

We are at the exact same point as I had my surgery on the same date as you (Dec. 14) although mine was in Ottawa. I'll share my booklet info with you however ensure your clinic follows the same guidelines.

Sounds like you are doing great and good job on the walking. Be careful not to over do it. I did 2 days ago and was pretty sore for doing it. I too still have pain. More so when moving. If I stay still, I'm good!!

At the pre-surgery class I received a booklet (Your Meal Planner after Bariatric Surgery) which is my "bible" right now!

According to my book:

We are still in Stage 2 - Full Fluid Diet which states "For the first few days to about 1 week after your surgery you will be drinking only fluids and your liquid protein supplement.

General Guidelines:
Sip on liquid protein supplements throughout the day. Typically, 1 scoop of protein powder or 1 pre-made protein drink has 25 grams of protein. Women need 60-90 grams of protein per day.

It also stated to aim for 2 L or 8 cups of fluid everyday, this includes the liquid protein supplements.

I bought Premier Protein drinks from Cost****hocolate) and they are really good. I just grab one from the fridge and put in on ice since it takes me awhile to drink one, filling! Each one has 30 grams of protein. Yesterday I got 3 in plus at least 2 bottles of water.

You didn't mention your vitamins/minerals so I hope you are getting those in as well.

I hope this helps. Check your information to see if it is the same or call your clinic to make sure you are doing everything you should be to maintain good health.

All the best on your journey!
MisterDiminishing
on 12/19/11 8:40 pm - Windsor, Canada
sillycat:   Penny and I are from the Guelph surgical centre and are also both only a day apart in surgery. She and myself are both in Stage 1, which is CLEAR liquids.

Stage 2 is full fluids, and that starts two weeks post-op.  At least as far as Guelph is concerned.

Monica M.
on 12/19/11 9:35 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
walk as much as you can tolerate. If its really causing too much pain, then take it down a notch.

If you're on clear fluids, then, no,  you're not getting protein (unless you're drinking those clear isopure protein drinks).

Protein isnt ESSENTIAL , when you're on clear fluids. Its about your stomach healing at this point, not putting stress on the sutures and all.

Don't stress, you're doing great with your fluids, sounds like about 1700 ml, 2000ml (2 litres) should be your goal (approx) so you're doing awesome. How are you feeling?