Most recent cover of People

ShrinkingHopefully
on 1/6/12 7:32 am
Once again People Magazine throws a jab out at Weight Loss Surgery. I am sure it won't be the last time!
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 7:46 am - Canada
Magazines, newspapers, news stations will always knock WLS because it sells. I'd bet dollars to donuts that People's advertisers are Weigh****chers & Jenny Craig. Both were mentioned in the article online. As far as I know, most bariatric doctors don't spend money on advertising

Weight loss articles this time of year are in abundance and you'll be hard pressed to find any that say WLS is an option for people struggling. Obesity is still very misunderstood by the media. I don't expect them to understand WLS.
Diminishing Dawn
on 1/6/12 7:49 am, edited 1/6/12 7:52 am - Windsor, Canada
I *used* to be offended by that too... I might be one of a minority who aren't offended by this but I guess I sometimes think a little differently.

it doesn't bother me in the least. I don't get offended by the distinction between wls and regular weight loss. I was able to get a remarkable tool. -- and it is something that most people don't have. I feel blessed for my wls but I also give a lot of credit to people that can lose weight without having to surgically alter their bodies. In fact, I give them extra credit because for me, it was never going to Happen naturally for me to get off my weight without my special tool.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

stewartjackie
on 1/6/12 8:17 am - Pickering, Canada
Dawn, after thinking about this, I have to agree with you. It would have been preferable for me not to have surgery, but I'd run out of options. I'm so grateful that the option of WLS was there for me. One problem I see is that I can't think of 1 popular celebrity that has had WLS. I remember Star something from the View, who lied about WLS, that didn't do us any good at all. What would be helpful is a celebrity advocate who values their health above all. just a thought.....

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/6/12 10:36 am - Windsor, Canada
Just for you lol

http://www.topsocialite.com/10-celebrities-who-have-had-gastric-bypass-surgery/

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Donnaslifepart2
on 1/6/12 10:24 am - Canada

In my opinion this is a reflection of the prejudice against fat people.  Fat people are viewed as lazy and of weak character (I dare anyone to tell me differently!) and WLS is one more example of our desire to take the EASY WAY OUT.

Case in point:  I have lost significant amts of weight twice in the last six years. 

The first time I lost @75 lbs on Weigh****chers.  People at work couldn't tell me enough, how great I looked, what a great job I was doing...tons of positive affirmation.

The 2nd time is this time with my RNY.  A couple of people are VERY supportive.  The rest....wait for it.....(cricket legs rubbing together)....NOTHING!  Why you say?  Because I haven't worked for it - it has been handed to me.  Little do they know.

What I do hear a lot of is the gossip about the terrible complications I've had, that I can't eat anything anymore, that I'm suffering from debilitating malnutrition...It was all a big surprise to me!...and I work in a hospital surrounded by healthcare workers (Yes, alas they are fallible humans subject to bias and ignorance too).

I'LL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH HERE THOUGH.

Megan M.
on 1/6/12 11:12 pm - Canada
I used to be one of those who thought WLS was the easy way out - I was dead set against my sister having it - thought she should just try a little harder.  Needless to say, I have learned first hand that there's nothing "easy" about this process.  While the surgery was a breeze for me, the process overall requires commitment, dedication, and damned hard work.  Surgery doesn't fix a lifetime of bad habits, and those are very difficult to overcome.  Definitely not the easy way out having your insides rerouted, having to relearn your body's tolerances as though you were a new baby, having to suffer through the pain/vomiting of eating "wrong".  Having to restructure your idle life into a more active one.  Not easy to remember your vitamins every day, and make sure you're getting enough protein to keep from going bald.  Definitely not easy.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Most Active
Recent Topics