What do you do....

Brenda T.
on 1/7/12 1:14 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
So the little bit of food, be it protein shake or sf apple sauce, is that enough to make the tummy happy enough to handle the vits for you then?

Thanks for the encouragement, I am so ready for the surgery to be done, I feel like my whole life is on hold.  grrr. lol  I have made alot of changes already and I have a shelf of things for after so I am prepared.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Sher1ock
on 1/7/12 1:30 am - Canada
Again, each person is different, and each centre is different.  In Ottawa, i brought my vits with me to hopsital and was able to meet dietician before discharge, so a question like that would have been at the top of my list.  I was able to have sf applesauce even when on fluids.

I do recommend writing questions down as well as responses as I was surprised at how much fell out of my head even when I thought I was clear immediately after surgery.  Fifteen minutes after dietician left the room I was asking myself  "did she say this or that"?

Brenda T.
on 1/7/12 8:39 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
good point thank you.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

CanDoItFour
on 1/7/12 8:32 am - Canada
Hi Brenda

I have always had a bad time with vitamins in the past, so I started with a liquid multivtamin + mineral that was OKed for me by the NUT at TWH.  It's "Genestra Brand Multivit + Min".  The taste took some getting used to (my daughter used to say ... smile when you swallow ... and it actually did help a lot, haha), but my stomach seemed to love it.  In fact, I have chosen to still stick with it, although I keep the same compound in pill form in my purse for those times I'm away from "the bottle".

Claire
Brenda T.
on 1/7/12 8:39 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I will look into that.  It's over the counter I take it?

CanDoItFour
on 1/7/12 8:56 am - Canada
Genestra Brand is marketed / positioned as a high quality product that apparently is given limited distribution by the company according to what I've heard.  I get mine at a local "compounding" pharmacy that carries Genestra Brand "stuff" as part of its homeopathic products.  No perscription needed.  You can but it online though.

I'll warn you - it's green in colour, which is a little off-putting, but the smell is ok in my opinion.  My blood work has been good ever since I started taking it, which is the main thing (other than not feeling sick from what I took in the past, haha).

Good luck
Claire
CanDoItFour
on 1/7/12 9:09 am - Canada
Another thing Brenda - from the TWH support meetings I've been to, and conversations with the nutritionists, compliance with the vitamin regimen is one of the problems a lot of people have, and it's really important. 

Because the Genestra worked for me I actually took it and my values stayed OK.  I had trouble with the calcium, wasn't vigilant, and am now trying to get my values up.  Same with iron. 

So - find something you like and then stick with it.  That's what's important.

Also, what works for you pre-op may not be OK post-op in my experience.  (Happily for me, the Genestra did not fall into that bracket!)  My main point is don't buy too big a supply of anything before hand.  I think it's really important to be prepared (as you're doing), but don't be surprised if you have to juggle a little after the fact.

All the best
Claire
Brenda T.
on 1/7/12 10:50 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Thanks Claire, I am really good at taking my vits and meds, I never miss them.  I have been taking them for years.

Thanks so much for you help.

Brenda T.
on 1/10/12 8:13 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I have switched and am now taking my multi vit at night and I don't get nausea now. wooo hooo.

Most Active
Recent Topics