What do you do....

Brenda T.
on 1/6/12 11:41 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
What do you do with the meds that you need to take with food?  I mean especially at first when you are on liquids?  Do you feel nausous because liquids aren't filling?  I get so sick to the point of throwing up now before surgery if I take my vitamins on an empty tummy.

I understand that you have to crush the meds and put them in apples sf sauce, but can you have that right away after surgery?

As you can see I'm so excited and planning everything so I will be ready.  I don't have a date yet but I'm ready. lol

Thanks peeps. :)

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

chammer71
on 1/6/12 11:58 pm, edited 1/6/12 11:58 pm - St. Catharines , Canada
Hi Brenda,

In Hamilton we were allowed to take our calcium and vitamins with SF applesauce immediately after surgery, not sure about you other meds as I am not on any.

Good Luck.

HW: 355.0   SW: 327.0  CW: 260.1  Surgeon: Dr. Gmora, St. Joseph's Hamilton      Surgery Date: December 28, 2011
Brenda T.
on 1/7/12 1:07 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Thank you.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

PaulaToronto
on 1/7/12 12:00 am - Toronto, Canada
I take my meds with my protein drinks - I do 2 a day to get 60 gr of protein in while I adjust to adding foods to my diet.  With small sips and spreading out the pills I didnt have any problems.  I only take two larger sized tablets per shake - any more and I get sick to my stomach.  The smaller tabs I can tolerate 4.

I wouldnt take crushed up vitamins they gave me in the hospital since I knew it would make me gag.  As long as your pill is smaller than an M&M you are OK.  If larger cut in two or three. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Brenda T.
on 1/7/12 1:08 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I plan on taking all my own meds and vits with me too.  Thanks for your advice.

aprilbennett1965
on 1/7/12 12:15 am - Canada
I was having a horrid time crushing my multi-vitamins. I spoke with my centre and was given permission to cut it into 1/3rds. I now take it with my morning beverage with no problems at all.

Duh, wait sorry I just realized you said that you are getting nausous because of the empty tummy so please ingore the above lol.

Sorry I can't help as like I said I take mine with my morning beverage and not crushed with food.
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Brenda T.
on 1/7/12 1:09 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
lol  Thanks April.

truckingbride
on 1/7/12 12:56 am - Harriston , Canada
Maybe switching multivits might help? Have you tried a multivit called PregVit they are avalible by prescription only! I used them during pregnancy of course and my husband uses them post-op (2yrs) because they are covered and easily digested ! They are divided into two doses. Pink pill in the morning and blue one at night.
I know you asked about empty tummy issues but sometime the vits can be hard to digest.

PregVit® is a prescription prenatal/postpartum vitamin-mineral supplement specifically formulated for use in women prior to conception throughout pregnancy and during the postpartum/breastfeeding period. (SOGC / MOTHERISK / HEALTH CANADA recommend the supplementation of a daily multivitamin containing folic acid during the postpartum and breastfeeding period.)

PregVit® was developed according to Duchesnay's highest standards of quality and research in order to reduce the iron-related maternal side effects (e.g. constipation and gastrointestinal discomfort) and to optimize the absorption of essential needed nutrients during pregnancy and breastfeeding. (e.g. iron, calcium and folic acid).

My hubby is 2 years post RNY and he never had to take his vits until he started his maintenance diet.. I dont know if this is the same for all pts?

Brenda T.
on 1/7/12 1:11 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I will be switching to the chewable vits after.... so they shouldn't make me sicky I'm hoping.

When I was younger and pregnant I use to take the prenal vits, not prescription ones though and they would make me sooo sick, I didn't have to take them.  With these ones did you have to crush them at first?  Or are they small enough to swallow even from the start?

Thanks for your advice.

sam1am
on 1/7/12 1:03 am
 Although I had a VSG (maybe different for meds), I was able to take meds whole immediately in hospital.  I usually take them with food as well because otherwise I feel nauseous.

I think its wonderful that you are getting ready ahead of time, it bodes well for your success, Brenda!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics