Sugar Free Vrs No Sugar Added

Heregoesnothing66
on 1/29/12 2:17 am - Canada
RNY on 02/23/12
Hi All,

So I was at the grocery store yesterday and bought some No Sugar Added Jello.  I read lots on here about Sugar Free Jello.  I looked on all the shelves and did not see Sugar Free Jello just no sugar added.  If you are buying Sugar Free Jello could someone upload a photo of the box so I know what Im looking for.  Thanks for your help here.

Teresa

SilverCrystal
on 1/29/12 2:41 am
In canada the sugar free stuff is NO SUGAR ADDED. If you go to michigan you'll find it all says SUGARFREE.. you are buying the right stuff! dont worry! USA has all the sugar free labeling. no sugar added is the same thing

*___*.

Dianadcr
on 1/29/12 2:54 am - Canada
I find the sugar free jello in the dairy section close to puddings that have to be refrigerated. The no sugar added for me is where the usual ready made puddings are kept on the shelves.
  Diana

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/29/12 3:27 am - Windsor, Canada
Sugar free and no sugar added are two different things. They are not the same interchangably.  I've never quite understood why jello says they are no sugar added jello...because it really is "sugar free."  so they *could* use that label if they wanted to.  

I am assuming they do this because of their puddings - and they are trying to keep the same terminology rather than have jello be "sugar free" and pudding be "no added sugar". I am assuming they figure the same terminology is best for consumers.

Many popsicles, yogurts and pudding are "no added sugar" (versus the label "sugar free") because they cannot call themselves "sugar free" since they have milk sugars or fruit sugars in them.   If they use a natural form of sugar without adding any extra sugar then they can have the label "no sugar added" but they still have naturally occuring sugars (hence no 'sugar free' label).

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Megan M.
on 1/29/12 6:05 am - Canada
Read the product label to see how much sugar can be in a no sugar added product.  Sometimes there's alot of natural sugars, but no other additional white stuff.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Most Active
Recent Topics