Generally very positive...having a day.

JennaMi77
on 2/11/12 5:41 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 Very tired of broth and jello (Im one week, two days post surgery.) I have bad cravings to chew something, anything and swallow. I tried it with a french fry (1, tiny fry...chewing the crap out of it before swallowing) the pain i felt was incredible. It was like heartburn and indigestion had a ******* child. I understand my pouch is still healing, but the only thing I can think is...will I ever going to be able to stomach anything again? Without pain? 

I feel like crying. Im so frustrated.
Diminishing Dawn
on 2/11/12 6:46 am - Windsor, Canada
 Are we all talking about eating soup every day around here on our threads? NO.  When you are first out of surgery, you are a newborn. You have a little newborn pouch that needs a lot of love and tender care.  You could try and feed it adult food, but that little newborn is going to choke, vomit or whatever...because its just a baby. Same with your pouch.

Much like you survived Optifast, you will survive this too and best of all, it really is only short term.  But you want everything to heal properly because if you mess with it too much you are going to give yourself nothing but trouble.  So you need to get yourself busy right now and get food off the brain. 

Be gentle to yourself hun...and yes, food will be part of your life again....  You are obviously experiencing a lot of head hunger right now and heart hunger...so you need to busy yourself up with some projects around the house...and remind yourself that this too, shall pass. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

aprilbennett1965
on 2/11/12 9:31 pm - Canada
Great way to describe it Dawn!   Wishing you all the best with your healing period Jenna.
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/12 7:23 am - Toronto, Canada
 Not sure what your centre includes in the full fluid stage diet, but I could also eat greek yogurt, sugar free low fat yogurt, milk based soups, applesauce, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding.  Are you taking full advantage of whatever is on your full fluid stage?  This may help with the boredom of broth and jello.

I don't think you should eat another french fry.  I would try and follow your centre's rules...its the best way for your body to heal.

I'm 3 and a half weeks out....and the break up with food is pretty intense, sudden and final.  At least for a while.  You're going to have grieve the loss and deal with it.  We can't eat whatever we want and be thin and healthy...especially post wls.  That's reality.   But I noticed my spirits picked up when I got to purees and I'm sure I'll be even more happy when I'm on soft foods middle of next week.

Just like the very wise advice of Dawn....baby steps!  That's what I keep telling myself at least.

Dianadcr
on 2/11/12 7:54 am - Canada
Up until Tuesday, I was also on broth and jello. You only have a few more days and then you can have cream of wheat, pudding, cream soups and yogurt. It's not much but I found when I got into the full fluids, I felt a lot better. Hang in there. This too will pass.
  Diana

ericaFG
on 2/11/12 8:01 am - Cambridge, Canada
 Of course it hurt!  You're just out of surgery at week!!  This is why they give you those rules.

You need to remember that, just because you look "untouched" on the outside, doesn't mean you're healed up on the inside.  You have incisions and stitches and re-arranged intestines ...and they need time to heal. 

Imagine you had a 6" incision in your skin from a week ago, and had it stitched up.  Would you want your friend or spouse to push on it or poke at it?  Because that's what your fry did to your internal stitches.  And it hurt.  Which is a good thing.  Many people have numbness inside and don't feel it when they abuse their new pouch - and that is even more dangerous.

I understand and remember how hard it is.  What I did was get a journal out (I used an electronic one) and every time I felt the seemingly overwhelming urge to eat something off my "plan", I got a glass of water and then wrote about it.  About how much I wanted it. About how I felt physically.  What emotions I was feeling around the desire to cheat and eat.  It really helped me to "uncover" some of those food demons.

There are a couple good books out there on this kind of thing as well - might help to read some of them and think about why you'd want to take that risk.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

JennaMi77
on 2/11/12 12:11 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 thanks all...I wouldnt think about jeopardizing my 2 years worth of work to fall into old habits, I assure you. Plus I've seen people do it to themselves. I was just having a hard day and needed to vent. Have I mentioned on a positive note, that I'm down 30 lbs since I begun my optifast to now? YAY!!!
MisterDiminishing
on 2/12/12 10:15 am - Windsor, Canada
I felt the same way after my surgery, Jenna.  Actually, once I went on full fluids, then to soft foods, I haven't touched Jello or plain broth again since.  Don't even like looking at the stuff.   LOL.   It'll pass.   Dr. Reed's post-op diet is pretty strict compared to some others but the extra precautions are worth the aggravation.

denise_norman
on 2/11/12 12:22 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/29/12
Hang in htere. I am sure it will only get better.
It is ok to vent. I have been known to do it myself. I found it really helped.
I am sending you all th epositive vibes I can because my turn is in 2 weeks and I know it is not going to be all peachy keen. Take Care, Denise

Referal: March 2011                   Orientation: TWH July 21,20
11           Nurse Practitioner:Sept. 6,2011
Sleep Clinic Test: Sept. 11,2011 Sleep Clinic Result:
Sept. 27, 2011   Social Worker: Oct.. 19, 2011   
Nutrition Class: Nov.1,2011        Diabetis Assessment: Nov. 01, 2011  Dietitian: Dec. 02, 2011 
Psychologist: Dec. 06, 2011       Surgeon Meeting: Jan. 21, 2012        RYN Surgery Date: Feb. 29, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics