NSAIDS

alexforest
on 2/20/12 1:38 pm - Canada
what is it? i see it mentioned here quite a bit but  have no idea what it is, sorry i might be having a blonde moment here but help me... lol
Heidi S.
on 2/20/12 2:01 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 They are asprines .... IB profines that sort of thing

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

JJ_
on 2/20/12 5:16 pm
Definition: NSAID stands for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. Available over-the-counter and in prescription form, NSAIDs fight pain associated with swelling. Taking NSAIDs increases the body's anti-inflammatory response, reducing pain and heat from the injured area.

NSAIDs are available over the counter in low doses, or by a doctor's prescription in higher potencies. Some examples of NSAIDs include ibuprofin, naproxen sodium and aspirin. Common side effects of NSAIDs include stomach pain and constipation.

NSAIDs may be used to control chronic pain, or may be used along with other pain medications (such as opioids or adjuvant analgesics) in the treatment of breakthrough pain.

Also Known As: Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Examples: Ibuprofin, aspirin, naproxen sodium, meloxicam
Monica M.
on 2/20/12 7:50 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
aspirin, Ibuprofen (advil, motrin), etc here's a link to a complete list.

the reason for no NSAIDS is because they increase the risk for ulcers.

avivaps
on 2/20/12 8:10 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
just to add, that includes no NSAIDs in any form, by mouth, IV, topically.  Even though the other routes do not go thru your stomach, they are absorbed and cause a similar effect.
spitintheocean
on 2/20/12 10:02 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 02/13/12
I'm glad booze isn't an nsaid or how else could we dull the pain from a future of pureed pizza?
Mary A.
on 2/21/12 12:23 am
that is why it is strongly suggested that people who have undergone bariatric surgery wear a medical ID bracelet~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

PatXYZ
on 2/21/12 12:38 am
Actually this isn't receommended. In a life threatening emergency, such as after a heart attack or stroke, a RNYer can and should have NSAID treatment.
Mary A.
on 2/21/12 1:03 am
On February 21, 2012 at 8:38 AM Pacific Time, PatXYZ wrote:
Actually this isn't receommended. In a life threatening emergency, such as after a heart attack or stroke, a RNYer can and should have NSAID treatment.
perhaps I should have been a bit more clear...meaning that people who have undergone bariatric surgery should wear a medical alert bracelet indicaitng that they SHOULD NOT be given NSAIDs...

also I believe there is a notation about tubing in the throat as well.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

PatXYZ
on 2/21/12 2:07 am
No they shouldn't. That's what I'm saying. If someone has a bracelet saying they can't have NSAIDs, they might not be given them in a life threatening emergency such as a heart attack or stroke. RNYers cannot have NSAIDs on a regular basis, but can have them in an emergency, which is exactly why this information should NOT be on a medic alert bracelet. This is as per the professionals at the TWH support group. They were all in agreement that a medic alert bracelet is not necessary and may do more harm than good.
Most Active
Recent Topics