VSG - TORONTO WESTERN HOSPITAL

kucletsa
on 3/3/12 12:16 pm - Canada
HELLO

Just trying to find anyone on this forum that has had the VSG done here in Toronto under Toronto Western Hospital?

AND IF you have.....Just wondering who your surgeon was and how well it went and also HOW were you able to get it since their main focus is on RNY?

Thank you for reading!!
gigglesAlot
on 3/3/12 9:42 pm
I had a VSG at the Toronto Western Hospital July 2010 with Dr. Penner as the main surgeon and Dr. Jackson assisting.  I was in talented hands and I have faith in all of the team there. . . .they are top-notch.

I signed for both the RNY and VSG before going into surgery but I was pretty certain that I would be coming out with the Vertical Sleeve as I had previous bowel surgery and lots of scar tissue.  I was happy to receive this tool.  I was afraid that the worse scenario would happen and I wouldn't get anything.

I have been a slow loser but a happy one.  I have been complication free.

I hope this helps.
Barb
Out of HEARTACHE . . . . comes JOY!!!    
Referring Weight - 256lbs
Dietician Weight In - 253lbs
Starting Optifast Weight - 250lbs
Surgery Day Weight - 240lbs
Current Weight - 171 lbs

My Angel with Wings. . . and My Earth Angel . . . .is Sandi, who's. . . . . .going2Bthin!! 
kucletsa
on 3/4/12 12:45 am - Canada
 Hello

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me!  Its probably better your losing slow anyhow. Maybe less skin?  But your definitely on your journey. Keep up the good work!  I want Dr. penner. I have only heard good things!!  Good luck!
REF SENT: DEC 2011  ORIENTATION: APRIL 19TH, 2012!!!!    
gigglesAlot
on 3/4/12 12:53 am
I don't think you will hear any complaints about the surgeons at TWH.  I was suppose to have Dr. Okrainic but got Dr. Penner who I didn't meet until literally minutes before surgery.  I knew from the moment that I spoke with him that I didn't need to worry. 

Whom ever you get will be awesome.  I know it's hard to 'wrap your mind' around not knowing who your surgeon will be, especially when you have your heart stuck on one particular doctor. . . .  but you will be in excellent hands no matter what doctor you get.

Barb
Current Weight - 171 lbs

My Angel with Wings. . . and My Earth Angel . . . .is Sandi, who's. . . . . .going2Bthin!! 
kucletsa
on 3/4/12 2:17 am - Canada
 Thank you so much Barb. I guess it will be a wait to see!!  
gigglesAlot
on 3/4/12 2:20 am
I believe in all of the doctors on the team.  Try not to worry too much.

Barb
Current Weight - 171 lbs

Sampy142
on 11/24/17 5:31 pm

When do you get to choose between the VSG and bypass?

Lizzie54
on 3/3/12 10:44 pm - Canada
Hi,
I had the VSG at TWH in December.  I was scheduled for the RNY, but because of liver scarring I ended up with VSG.  My surgeon was Dr. Allan Okraneic and he was wonderful.  The fact that they were able to give me an alternative and not just close me up, I am thankful every day.

I have had not complications and have followed through the different eating stages without any problems.

I track and weigh my food and have been very diligient with what i eat.  Since VSGers don't dump, I still make sure i don't eat sugar or high fat foods.

I still have diabetes, but i have reduced my pils from 4 to 2.  I have lost 58 pounds (including 15 on Optifast) and am pleased with the outcome.

I have more energy, want to do more and just live! I am up early on the weekends now and don't sleep all day...

Good Luck!
Liz   

kucletsa
on 3/4/12 12:48 am - Canada
Hi. Thanks for sharing with me. I need to hear real stories of TWH to help ease my brain!  I have my orientation on April 18th and super nervous!  I won't do the RNY and just praying that I get to decide to have the VSG.  Your weight loss is awesome!   I get excited losing ten pounds. Hoy your at almost 60!  Do you have an excess skin?  One of my big fears!!   Please keep me posted on your progress!  Congrats so far!!
OKNEE FE + 3
on 3/4/12 7:09 am
Having a VSG instead of an RNY is simple. . .meet the criteria set by OHIP for VSG

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/