I'm Scared.

savasana
on 3/4/12 11:50 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
 I leave for Toronto first thing tomorrow morning for my pre-op and my surgery is Tuesday at 11am at TWH.

I've been so bloody thrilled up to this point with only a small amount of the normal nervousness about major surgery and life change.  Well, the scared is kicking in full force.  The actual surgery itself doesn't scare me.  The eating changes scare me somewhat (what if I can't keep it up and I fail miserably and die with a face full of food?!).  The risk of deficiencies and other complications scare the crap out of me.

Food is an absolute passion of mine, cooking is a growing hobby that I love.  I'm afraid I won't be able to enjoy it any longer, that food will just be a pain in the ass because of restrictions instead of a joy.  I'm worried about social complications that will stem from it, all the explaining, avoiding so many places my friends and family love to go.  

Leading up to this I've just kept telling myself that I have handled so much in my life already, that I can handle this too...but what if I can't?

I'm 100% going through with this (and yes I have a therapist) and I will deal with whatever consequences come my way.  I suppos I just needed to acknowledge my fears "out loud" and to hear that perhaps I'm not the only one who had these and that they came out the other side the better for it.

Thank you for listening.
Pam

Monica M.
on 3/4/12 12:01 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
hey Pam

Being scared is entirely normal.

There are lots of people i know who look at our "restrictions" as challenges, when it comes to food preparation. They turn their passion for cooking into a passion for finding new and different and healthy ways of making their favourite things.

I don't avoid places that i used to love to go. i find healthy alternatives in the places that i like. I learn to ask for things to be prepared the way i like them.

One phrase that helps me. "You can do hard things."

hugs

Heidi S.
on 3/4/12 12:04 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 Everything you are feeling is normal. I think everyone of use all feel the same at one point or another. I'm still pre op but I get those feelings on and off. 

You will do great, the surgery will go awesome.
As for cooking. Think of it as an adventure looking for and trying now WLS friendly recipes that you and your family and friends will enjoy. Once you are on the diet for life think of the possiblities when cooking. I know how you feel though because I am the same and I have a small home based baking business that I am so afraid I won't be able to do afterwards.

I'm going to be at TWH Tuesday as well I have a psych appointment at 9am. I would have liked to stop in to see you but I wouldn't be there when you come out of surgery because I have to be back to the airport by 12:30. 

If you wouldn't mind messaging me with you your name I would love to leave a little something for you for when you get back to your room.

I wish you all the best and a speeding recovery that is with little pain and discomfort as possible

heidi

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

brenda_mcconnell
on 3/4/12 12:11 pm - Oshawa , Canada
RNY on 04/18/12

Hi Pam,
First off I wish you good luck on your weight loss journey.
On friday I received my surgery date of April 18th with Dr. Okrainec. I am sure I will feel the same as you. I am new to OH but already I feel the support I need. Please know we will be here for you.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Brenda

savasana
on 3/4/12 12:24 pm - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
 Thank you so much ladies, I really appreciate your support (and that of all the OH members, it really is a great place).

I know I can do this and make the necessary changes as well as learn to adapt to the old situations in a new way.

All I need are a few good luck vibes on Tuesday (but thank you for the offer of the gift, so very thoughtful) and I'll be all set.

Thanks again!

Monica M.
on 3/4/12 8:08 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
can i come see you at TWH? i'm going to be in town thurs friday. Message me with your name, if that's ok.

Monica

morena8162
on 3/4/12 12:39 pm - Canada
Hi Pam.

Just wanted to wish you all the best for Tuesday..  You will do great!! .. Sending positive vibes and prayers your way..

Gee..
Surgeon: March 02/12 Surgery: April 04/12
Looking forward to a brighter, healthier tomorrow ....  

Cammie S.
on 3/4/12 12:59 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 02/27/12
I felt the same way. it's good that you are getting this off your chest.

Life after WLS is certainly different, but well worth it.

You will do great....

Wishing you a speedy recovery

All the best

MrsJButler
on 3/4/12 2:16 pm - Canada
Best Wishes!!
stewartjackie
on 3/4/12 2:53 pm - Pickering, Canada
I think we all go through those second doubts at the last minute, and I think it is normal.
Don't think about deficiencies, think about how I feel just 7 months out eliminating most of my medications and only a step away from losing my CPAP. Think of what it is like to go shopping and want to buy everything because it fits and looks good. Think about how much fun it is to cook new things. Think about sitting in a chair without wondering how you will get out of it. Buying shoes with laces because you can. Not worrying about things falling on the floor because you can bend over without a second thought and pick it up. Having a nice dinner party and having everyone compliment you on the food, and they don't know it was healthy for them. Eating some of what they were having, just smaller portions and telling them I am more careful about what I eat, that is how I lost the weight. And remember what a wise lady once told me....nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!
good luck...

Most Active
Recent Topics