TMI...But out of hospital

Sunnydaz
on 3/23/12 5:51 am
So I'm on the bench!  As Bin told all of you my surgery went well and I haven't had too much pain.  However I did have a problem that kept me in hospital for another day and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen after surgery.  Sorry it's gross detail...

My first bowel movement was filled with blood and has continued to be.  However the doctors checked and checked again and my blood count kept going up.  Which they tell me is good.  They beleive that it's old blood from the work they did inside me.  Anyone experience this?

Thanks for all your support!!

Orientation: Oct. 5/11     NP: Nov. 16/11     SW: Nov. 16/11
NC: Nov. 23/11     N-1on1: Jan. 6/12     PSYC: Jan. 6/12
Surgeon:  Feb. 24/12     Surgery:  March 20/12

hobbithands
on 3/23/12 5:54 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Welcome home!
I am pre op so no insight for you, but glad to hear you are home and healing well!

Brenda T.
on 3/23/12 5:59 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I'm happy to hear you are home. And I'm glad that is what it is and nothing worse.
I'm pre op so don't know first hand, but someone else was saying about having blood in the stool for a bit.
Take Care.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

happypants
on 3/23/12 6:39 am - Ottawa, Canada

Welcome to the Bench!!!   

I didn't have this happen but the hospital is right. As long as your blood count continues to go up, healing is taking place. If you don't mind me asking what color was the blood in your stool? If it was a darker red it more than likely is old blood from surgery. Bright red would be reason from concern.

Pay close attention over the next while, if you at all feel sick or weak I wouldn't get yourself back to the hospital to have blood work done.

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Monica M.
on 3/23/12 6:53 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
great that you're home! i didnt have that problem, but it kind of makes sense. Hope everything goes well.

MAD-Dave
on 3/23/12 7:20 am - Canada
 Glad your home.

Orientation: 19 July 2011     Nurse/SW: 17 Oct 2011 Nutrition Class: 22 Nov 2011
Dietician/Psychiatrist: 24 Nov 2011 Surgeon: 9 Jan 2012  PAATS: 1 Mar 2012
Surgery: 23 March 2012
Dave...

JJ_
on 3/23/12 8:12 am
Welcome home :)  I didn`t have this issue when I had surgery.  I did however wish to stay longer in the hospital, but was discharged on time!  LOL

Glad to hear things are going well, except for the scare of the blood in the stool.

Judy
denise_norman
on 3/23/12 12:03 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/29/12
Glad to hear you are home. I did have blood. Not in my stools though. I thought I was getting my menstrual again but it only lasted for 3 days and was dark. I assumed it was either from the surgery or my menstrual. But I did have alot of clear discharge for about a week and a very strong odor in my urine as well which was not there pre op. Figured it was just hormonal as it never lasted. Hope all is well. Denise

Referal: March 2011                   Orientation: TWH July 21,20
11           Nurse Practitioner:Sept. 6,2011
Sleep Clinic Test: Sept. 11,2011 Sleep Clinic Result:
Sept. 27, 2011   Social Worker: Oct.. 19, 2011   
Nutrition Class: Nov.1,2011        Diabetis Assessment: Nov. 01, 2011  Dietitian: Dec. 02, 2011 
Psychologist: Dec. 06, 2011       Surgeon Meeting: Jan. 21, 2012        RYN Surgery Date: Feb. 29, 2012

PatXYZ
on 3/23/12 12:24 pm
I know someone else that this exact thing happened too. It was exactly as you described and the docs said it was just old blood from the remnant stomach that had to work it way out. It went away after a few days.
JennR
on 3/23/12 12:45 pm
Bright red blood in your stool is a concern unless you've got hemroids that bleed often (obviously still a concern if it doesn't stop), dark red/black blood is old stuff that is just working its way out. It is a concern only if it persists longer than a few days. Seeing as your blood count is good and rising sounds like you've nothing to worry about.