Vitamins and supplements

ChrisC74
on 4/11/12 11:14 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
ive not had surgery yet, i have my nut/nut class/ and psych appts all on april 17th at TWH. id like to get a head start and begin stock piling some vits and supps. any input on what i should be buying. and is every centre and patient different when it comes to these nutritional vits and supps, thanx!!!

REF: Sept 2011, Orientation TWH: Nov 23,2011 Nurse: Jan 26 2012
SW: Feb 2 2012  Nutritionist/Nut Class/Psych April 17,2012

Meet Surgeon: July 27/2012  Pre-Admit September 28, 2012 Surgery: October 15, 2012        
Heathergetbetter
on 4/11/12 12:36 pm - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12
I bought a bunch of vitamins from Celebrate vitamins.com
They are in the USA but so many choices for chewables. Shipping was $47 and that was for everything I ordered. It was shipped and rec'd in less than a week.  I bought 90 chewable soft chew calciums, 180 chewable multivitamins (3 different flavours), 60 multivitamins + iron for when my iron drops as I'm sure it will, 30 days worth of protein powder with multivitamins built in (they call it something like ENS). Plus if you call and request a sample, they will send you a whole bag of samples to try for free and include a coupon for $3.00 off.

I bought syntrax nectar in grapefruit and some tropical flavour at the low carb grocer in Markham after my last appointment. These are protein powders.

I also got 2 cases of premier protein shakes ready made from Costco. I got 2 bottles of liquid calcium there too, along with proferrin.

At the pharmacy at humber river I got 500 wildberry calcium chews, jamison B12 strips (which are not true sublingual but they will do for now) and I got unflavoured protein powder there too.

I have also picked up milk of magnesia, colace, clear fibre, davinci syrups, extra strength tylenol, beano, sugar free/fat free pudding mixes, applesauce and more that I can't think of right now since I'm not at home.
Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
stewartjackie
on 4/11/12 2:03 pm - Pickering, Canada
Yes, the centres do vary on what they recommend, and what you will need to take will vary based on your blood work results. Remember that your tastebuds can change and what might taste good now, wouldn't afterwards.
For example I can't tolerate sugar free jello now. I sent an email to Celebrate vitamins and trying what they send, it is free. Some I liked and some I didn't but I found them to be very expensive
My centre recommends pre-natal vitamins and I have found that the best for me come from Costco and are about $9.00 for 270. I get the Jamieson sublinqual vit B12, and the different drugstores put them on sale, so I watch for that along with my calcium. they only cost about $20.00 for a few months supply. ( I am now saving a lot of money that used to go to junk food LOL) I went to Popeye's, a supplement place, for my protein powder, as they give individual samples of the types and flavours. Some I HATED, but have found a brand that tastes like a milkshake to me, and I love, so have both chocolate and vanilla, and sometimes get the chocolate peanut butter. they also had fruit flavoured and plain.
Hope you get lots of suggestions and different ideas, but my own advice if you have extra money now, is to put it aside and use it towards new clothes (even if they are only new to you)
Jackie

Monica M.
on 4/11/12 8:36 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
You'll need multivitimins and calcium citrate, for sure. Those two things don't vary. Other centres may suggest additional supplements. You'll likely be able to swallow pills about a month out or so.

ToNewBeginnings
on 4/11/12 9:37 pm
I think it's good that you are starting to prepare.
I might wait on the vitamins until you hear from your centre as to the type and amount they would like you to take.
You will have lots of time to stock up.

Leanne1
on 4/12/12 8:44 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I went thru TWH too.

My vitamin regimen is:
- 7am(ish) probiotic, helps me go to the washroom (sorry if tmi)
- 9am multivitamin
- 11am calcium citrate 315mg
- 1pm calcium citrate 315mg
- 3pm B12 1200mcg
- 9pm herbal laxative

At your nut class, they will give you a list with vitamins and choices (such as for B12- stripes, tablet, or a shot) When I took the class, they had us do a "mock" day for vitamins of the times we would take them and which vitamin to take.

Good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics