Battling Head Hunger

debralight
on 5/2/12 4:47 am - Canada
The first step of solving a problem is realising you have a problem - well I'm finding I have a problem.

The sweet honeymoon period is long over and I'm finding I want to stress eat, especially at the office.  I know its head hunger. I can tell the difference. And I know, that by identifying I have a problem, I'm part way to solving the problem. But alas, so far that hasn't changed my urge to eat. The urge is strong and real.

I'm working on bringing in healthy food as part of planned eating - a good lunch and snacks. I'm idenfitying what the eating trigger is and I'm fighting it but its hard. Very hard. I haven't gained weight but i want to deal with this before the scale tells me I need to deal with this.

Any ideas on things that might help?

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

CanDoItFour
on 5/2/12 4:57 am - Canada
Can you focus on the trigger, and try to work around it? 

If it's a situation - could it get moved to a better time of the day when you might be able to handle it in a stronger way?  Or if a person, find a different way of dealing with them - over the phone / email / less frequently / through an intermediary / etc.?  Sometimes just a little twist to the routine can help.

Claire
debralight
on 5/2/12 9:45 am - Canada
I'm going to pay more attention to what happened just before i get my urges and see if there is a common thread to the stress - a person or a task.. off hand I'm not sure there is but unless I really pay attention I won't know. Thanks for the idea Claire :)
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Joyce J.
on 5/2/12 5:01 am - Scarborough, Canada
HI there

I'm sure you will get some great ideas
Sometimes nuts work for me, just a few, but they curb whatever I'm feeling

Great that you are realizing it before it becomes a problem

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

debralight
on 5/2/12 9:46 am - Canada
Joyce - i'll try the nuts though i'm a bit afraid i might munch them til their gone. Maybe buy a few to see so I can't go crazy. Great idea!

niceeyes72
on 5/2/12 5:13 am, edited 5/2/12 5:13 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 03/23/12
Just wanted to congratulate you on taking this step!!! You will figure it out and fight that demon!!!

Tam
Highest Weight: 365lbs
Clinic Weight: 325lbs
Clinic goal:190 lbs
Current Weight: 176.4lbs
My goal:165lbs
Surgery: Dr. Yelle Ottawa on March 23, 2012

debralight
on 5/2/12 9:47 am - Canada
Thanks so much ! i know i will!

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/12 5:13 am - Canada
Im dealing with the same thing. Whenever I get stressed, I desperately want to eat...and of course, not the healthy stuff either!

What I started doing is...

1. Vent. Doesnt matter where or to who. I vent.
2. Write. I'll write how Im feeling and then think of ways of resolving the issue.
3. Fresh Air. Go outside to get some air and release some tension.

All work. Sometimes I do all 3. Most times writing helps the most.
debralight
on 5/2/12 9:49 am - Canada
I always have a pad beside me i'm going to take your suggestion about writing down things .. finding out exactly what's causing the issue is a good thing .. so is problem solving the situation.

And super idea to go for a walk .. i'm lucky i'm in a job where i could get up and walk around the floor or even the building and calm myself. 

Thanksfor the ideas Simona

Karen W.
on 5/2/12 5:20 am - Canada
Breathe deep.  If you're so disposed, pray or meditate for a few minutes.  Develop a positive message to repeat to yourself as a mantra (I'm a strong woman, I can do this....).  Have something crunchy, something salty, and something sweet (artificially sweetened) handy (not junk food, of course, but healthy alternatives).  Eat a bit of protein.

Good luck.  I struggle with this too but, thankfully, it seems to go in cycles.

RNY April 11, 2011       

Most Active
Recent Topics