I thought I could be brave.....

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/12 1:00 am - Toronto, Canada
 i took percs for about 5 days post-op and then switched to tylenol...so don't be hard on yourself.  Everyone has different pain thresholds.  I was terrified of taking my steri strips off and tried to avoid looking at the incisions altogether.  I am totally the squeamish type!  I had to get coached over the telephone by my dear friend Melissa (pinkjellybean) to rip them off at about 3 weeks post-op, well after the time they recommend that they come off, lol!
The first month post-op is really hard...go easy on yourself and take it one day at a time.  You'll be feeling better each week.  I noticed a major pick up at the month and 6 week marks and then by 3 months I would say that I felt completely back to normal.  You will heal at your own pace and each week that passes it will get better.
Heidi S.
on 5/19/12 1:24 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 Brenda my dear take the meds when you need them. Please repeat that to me when I have my surgery lol. I will be like you I know that for sure I do it now when I'm in pain. I always try to beat the pain and not let it win. I can send you some lectures I've received from various friends if that will help lol. 
Remember perks are your friend right now. You need them to get proper rest and to be able to get up and do your walking.
Take it easy, sip, walk, rest, meds and repeat.

Heidi

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

JennR
on 5/19/12 2:42 am
I know in your other post you had a lot of people say that they had no pain post-op well there are probably a lot more who didn't post who did have post-op pain. You've had major surgery, pain is an expectation, it's a bonus if there is no pain but you are perfectly normal in experiencing pain post-op. Not addressing your pain and trying to 'suck it up' is wrong! People do not heal as well when they are having pain, you are in more stress and stress does not help healing. Don't wait until you are in intense pain to take your pain medication, take regular doses to keep up the level of pain reliever in your system. Pain medication does not work as well on extreme pain, it takes longer to be effective, taking regular doses is better. For cancer and post-op patients in the hospital we routinely give pain medication at regular intervals just to keep up maintenance levels. If you feel that you don't want to take percocets because they are a narcotic try taking extra strength tylenol, 2 tabs every 6 hours. I've had patients in the hospital tell me that for some pain tylenol is more effective than morphine! Different pain medications work on different pain receptors in your central nervous system, that's why not all pain medications work equally for everyone.

HeySher
on 5/19/12 3:17 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
Hi Brenda, Congrats on your surgery!! When I first came home I thought I would not take my Perks and be brave and live with the pain. About day 2 I realized I was in too much pain to move around much and found it easier to stay inactive. I decided that could not possibly to helping so I took a Perk and the difference was amazing. I was up and walking more and soon realized I was also healing faster. The better you feel, the more active you will be and the faster you will heal.

Good Luck and hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Sherry

Referred: Dec 15/10           Orientation: Jun 14/11          Nurse: Jun 23/11
Social Worker: Sep 7/11   Nutrition Class: Sep 28/11   Nutrition Assess: Oct 27/11
Psychiatrist: Nov 10/11     Surgeon: Dec 23/11               Surgery: Jan 20/12  
Brenda T.
on 5/19/12 3:17 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Thanks everyone, I know everything you are saying is true. I won't do that again. I don't want to run out of them, but I will deal with that when I get there. lol
Thank you everyone!!
It is georgous out there and I have been enjoying the outdoors, makes me feel good.
Enjoy your long weekend everyone!!!

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

denise_norman
on 5/19/12 9:13 am - Canada
RNY on 02/29/12
 Take care of yourself Brenda. The pain Meds will help with that! I was quite uncomfortable for awhile after surgery. 11 weeks out and I still have my days. We all heal differently. So take what you need too! The doctor wouldn't have prescribed them otherwise. Have a great weekend !!! Denise

Referal: March 2011                   Orientation: TWH July 21,20
11           Nurse Practitioner:Sept. 6,2011
Sleep Clinic Test: Sept. 11,2011 Sleep Clinic Result:
Sept. 27, 2011   Social Worker: Oct.. 19, 2011   
Nutrition Class: Nov.1,2011        Diabetis Assessment: Nov. 01, 2011  Dietitian: Dec. 02, 2011 
Psychologist: Dec. 06, 2011       Surgeon Meeting: Jan. 21, 2012        RYN Surgery Date: Feb. 29, 2012

PaulaToronto
on 5/19/12 9:54 am - Toronto, Canada
I was a real suck when it came to the pain and actually had a refill of pain meds.  I had more pain than I expected and got it under control with the pills.  No need to shy away from needing the pills. You had major surgery and if you are in pain you should take a pill.  I tried to do alot of walking and maybe that made matters worse but whatever, it finally went away and yours will too. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Blu-Diva
on 5/19/12 11:33 am - Hamilton, Canada
 I seen under the tape YUCK. My wish for you is that thing speed up.    

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

stephanie2011
on 5/20/12 12:05 pm - toronto, Canada
 hey Brenda, I agree that this is not a competition and certainly if you are still uncomfortable from pain then you should take your meds to help with that.   It will help you to be more active.   I was fortunate to not have pain but everyone's experience is different and let me tell you,  I wouldn't have hesitated to take them if needed.   
The tape removal is interesting and frightening at the same time.   You won't believe how small some of the incisions are!  It really is amazing what they can do.

Take care and rest when you need to.   
Steph 

Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics