I thought I could be brave.....

Brenda T.
on 5/18/12 10:19 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
well, it turns out I'm the suck I thought I was. lol  I took one perk yesterday morning at 8:30am, had some discomfort later in the day, well come night time I was in tears and took 2 perks, which tastes totally gross crushed but felt 100% better!!!
I didn't need any during the night, and this morning a little pain so I thought I would take tylonal and so far so good, not the same wonderful help that the perks give but makes it bearable forsure.
Can't wait to have a bath, not a huge shower fan, lol  And I'm not looking forward to seeing under the tape, lol.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

sam1am
on 5/18/12 10:32 pm
Hey Sweetie, nows not the time to be a Martyr!  If your doc gave you a script he expected that you might need it.  Take them when you need them, I'm sure you won't need  it soon!

One day at a time!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

jewel-twin
on 5/18/12 10:33 pm - Canada
You don't suck... Its not a competition...there is no reason to be in pain if yo don't have to... why suffer???

If you don't like it take half a pill and when your pain starts to creep back take another half....

Your doing great!

Juls
Brenda T.
on 5/18/12 10:37 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I don't know why I get it in my head that I have to be impressive with handling my pain. Great idea about half a pill.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

msheavyhearted
on 5/18/12 10:43 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Why suffer if you don't have to? If you feel better you'll heal better. Having pain will just make you not want to move around which will, inevitably, cause other problems.

As the previous poster said, "This isn't a contest." Starting your journey full of pain is not the best way to begin. You've been such an inspiration and supporter to others. Now it's time to take care of you. So what if you need pain control for a few more days? A few weeks from now this part of post op life will just be a distant memory (and you'll wonder why you stressed yourself over it.)

Take care of yourself. I believe I speak for all of the OH Ontario board when I say none of us want you to suffer needlessly. You deserve a pain-free recovery!!
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Brenda T.
on 5/18/12 11:01 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Aww thank you!! I will do better.

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/12 11:15 pm - Canada
Brenda, I agree with others...take your meds! You need them. There's nothing wrong with using them to manage pain. In fact it'll help you heal. If you're in pain you're less likely to get up and move. Taking the meds will get you mobile and you need to walk in order to heal.
Karen W.
on 5/18/12 11:27 pm - Canada
Brenda, everyone is different as far as their pain level post-op. And there are factors that influence how people experience pain, things like childhood experiences of chronic pain/illness, trauma history, all kinds of stuff. 

You are less likely to develop a problem with the pain meds if you take them as prescribed rather than taking less.  If your pain is properly managed, you won't feel like taking more than necessary at times because you won't have extreme peaks and valleys with your pain.  If your script says "1 or 2 every 4-6 hours", start with 2 every 4 hours and cut it back to 1 every 6 hours, until you can switch to regular tylenol.

This is not a time to be "tough".  You don't heal as well or as quickly when you are in pain.  Let your body heal now.  There's plenty of time to get up and at it later!

RNY April 11, 2011       

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/12 11:34 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Take care of yourself and don't let yourself suffer with the pain. Many Big Hugs Deb
sweetvania
on 5/19/12 12:18 am - mississauga, Canada
yay brenda congrats on your surgery you will be on your way to the new you before u know it i hope u arent in too much pain, everyone is different for their pain and we dont want u to be in pain if u dont have to so just rest up girl and once again welcome to the bench u will love it
RNY 07/05/11 dr klein!!! love it soo happy xxoo!!
Most Active
Recent Topics