Curious...wonder why people buy SF everything???

Mary A.
on 5/24/12 4:23 am
My intent is NOT to start a debate..but I have been wondering something...

why do people buy SF jam, ketchup, peanut butter etc etc???

I did the very same thing right out the gate until I found that SF barbecue sauce was crappy and actually made my barbecue hamburgers fall apart.

.and for the amount of jam, peanut butter and ketchup I use which is probably a tablesppon a month if that....I just buy main stream.

is it because some of you...use quite a bit of these condiments?

..again not trying to start a debate..just trying to figure to understand.

at 3 years post-op...I only buy unsweetened products like drink mixes, or low sugar in a can of peaches...

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/12 4:35 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 04/24/12

I like somethings to be sugar free such as drink mixes but for the most part I buy no sugar added puddings, jello, ice cream, unsweetened apple sauce other than that I just try to keep the simple sugars in food low or around 10grams per serving like suggested but I don't buy sugar free condiments actually I didn't know there was such a thing but when it comes to condiments I try low cal or fat free whenever possible.

birdiegirl
on 5/24/12 4:40 am

Hi Mary

I pretty much purchase products in their sugar free form if made with Splenda....for example I love sugar free bread and butter pickles...

I also figure that if I use 2 -3 of these types of products in a day....and cumulatively they save me 100 calories per day ....then that's great.....100 per day is 700 per week= 36400 per year which equals approx 10 pounds per year in saved calories.....

some of these products add variety to my eating life.....pickles.....pudding.....ketchup....adding splenda to cranberries to make sauce etc......

I also love splenda on a bowl of berries in the summer......I serve this to guests and they don't realize its not sugar....but saves me calories and potential dumping plus tastes great..

I am a plain eater....I like food in its natural form....plus a few extras as above and some nice herbs and pepper....sugar free products add some pizazz when I want a little sweet....

You use low sugar drink mixes and canned fruit....I will use a few pickles in my ham roll ups ( easier to eat) or maybe someone likes ketchup on their burger.....keeps it moist

I am thankful there are products out there to give me some variety but keep the calorie count low

Joyce J.
on 5/24/12 5:55 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Barb,

Sugar free bread and butter pickles??????
WOW yummy. Are they Bick's or another brand? Never seen them

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

birdiegirl
on 5/24/12 11:04 am

they are Mt Olive brand and I think you can only get them in the states....they are great!

ToNewBeginnings
on 5/24/12 6:54 am
I'm getting excited about SF Bread & Butter pickles. What brand and where do you get them???

onehotmom
on 5/24/12 5:25 am
I also buy some of the no added sugar, sugar free items. So that I can use them along with the others in my house hold. Some things like ketchup, peanut butter I buy main stream but choose the low fat peanut butter etc. I don't buy a special BBQ sauce but have found one in my regular grocery store with the lowest fat & sugar and that is the one I buy.
Just my opinion.
A.    
nata
on 5/24/12 5:58 am - Ottawa, Canada
Everyone is different. I use splenda on a daily basis as my hot beverage sweetener. 3-5 cups of drinks a day. But never buy drink mixes or canned fruit - just not in my menu, never used them even preop.

I never in my life used BBQ sauce, and as for peanut butter and Ketchup, - I'm just like you, a spoon a month doesn't make sense to buy SF.

But! I'm a very "heavy" user of SF chocolate and Atkins meal bars (ironically, I'm chewing one right now, lol. So... whatever our dietary choices are, we are just trying to reduce glycemic content, that's it
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/12 6:44 am, edited 5/24/12 6:45 am - Canada
I often wondered about that myself. Especially the high use of SF Syrups.

I can't use a lot of the SF stuff - I react badly to them. I can use Splenda sweetened products though but rarely do. I also don't like the taste of artificially sweetened foods.

I'm planning on purchasing the SF Ketchup from PC but only because I use ketchup A LOT! It'll save me a lot of calories & spare me the dumping risk.
ToNewBeginnings
on 5/24/12 7:00 am
I used to buy more SF things. Then I looked at the no-sugar added jam versus the regular and there was not enought difference for me to justify the cost.

I think I'm like you, I buy mostly sugar-free drink mixes. I also like the no carb sugar free choc syrup I can find in the states. It's nice over fruit in the summer.

Most Active
Recent Topics