Was told to eat more carbs???

linda11665
on 5/30/12 3:06 am - Ottawa, Canada
I spelt that right...I am at 9 months out, down 126lbs in a size 3/4/5 and over their goal weight by 26lbs.  I am very active every day.  Was told by the dietician that I need to add more carbs to my diet.

Because, I am considered an athlete(Haven't heard that since I was in my 20's) Go figure.

Here is the kinker, I cannot eat carbs.  Everytime I eat more than a hand full of any kind of carbs, whether pasta, or dried fruits, or any carbs I get sick.  Yes I am very fortunate to still have this, however I was never really a carb person to begin with..If it was fried foods, then okay that was me.  But carbs....

I run 5kms every other day, weight train, then I do some kind of cardio on the days that I don't run, like yoga, pilates sculpt, toning, (these are classes given at the gym).  And I feel very faint or very tired after each work out.  So I started taking "my trail mix" before and after each work out.  It has help me not feel so faint or tired, but now the dietician wants more than that.. I have no idea how to do that when what I take now is pushing it for me...Go figure

Sorry just a little confused...Stunned, confused, happy but mostly confused.  I understand the implications of not eating enough carbs for training to run a marathon, but what else can I do when my body won't take carbs...

I get the dumping immediatly, or I am very sick, no vomiting, just feeling like I cannot eat anything for the rest of the day, when I eat a little too much carbs.

Thanks for letting me vent
Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
(deactivated member)
on 5/30/12 3:16 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
How about adding fresh fruit and veggies and just a few whole grain crackers but make sure to eat them with some protein be it cheese or a meat or tuna.  Dried fruit is way higher sugar content than fresh fruit so your body may be handle that a bit better. Did she not give you suggestions of healthy carbs to eat?  My NUT is fine with me getting my carbs from fruits and veggies and the odd piece of whole grain bread or baked potato.
(deactivated member)
on 5/30/12 3:42 am - Canada
I know I should be eating more carbs too by way of veggies and yes, it's hard but I started adding 1/2 a small yam to each meal and it's been working out okay. I try and find carbs that'll give me more nutritional bang for my buck.

I agree with Tracey..avoid the dried fruit and start with some fruits and veggies or a few more crackers. Bit by bit you'll get more used to it and maybe not feel so sick.
Karen M.
on 5/30/12 3:52 am - Mississauga, Canada
Oh my heavens, I'm afraid of dried fruit and I'm 6 years out!!  I really think that the dietician should have explained healthy carbs - vegetables, fruit...  - carbs do not automatically = bread, sugar, etc.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Lorieliz
on 5/30/12 3:59 am - Canada
Hey Linda,

Brown rice is a good choice for high carb and it is relatively bland. Also baked potatoes. Raisins..

Beans have a lot of carbs, especially lima beans (my favourite)

I could not live without oatmeal!!!

I think they also have special high carb juices like gatorade that you could sip on...

Good luck.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/12 4:07 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Linda,

I agree with the other posters, perhaps check the fresh fruits and find which ones have a lower sugar counts.

I just want to say that I read your story on your page and want to tell you that you are a very brave lady and a real role model for your girls.
linda11665
on 5/30/12 5:27 am - Ottawa, Canada
Sorry Ladies, My Dietician did say more fruit and vegetables.  And more grains and starch..She did give me some ideas..

I was so confused and thought that my vent was long enough...Sorry about that.

She does like the dried cranberries, but the amount that I eat is not enough to hurt my diet.  Which is about a tablespoon during the whole day.. As for fruits, some are to hard on my pouch.  So I keep at it and I love grapes and I already eat beans...

I love this place for all the wonderful ideas.  Thanks

And thank you, I love my girls..

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
tango123
on 5/30/12 6:53 am
my trainer is really high on nutrition, he always texts me before my workout to have a protein shake or some sort of protein and pushes for me to have one after as well. Are you sure its dumping and not hypoglycemia (sp?) I have that and if I don't keep my food intake on a regular sugar my levels skyrocket then drop and crash I feel sick and dizzy and lethargic, it's awful. I do crossfit 3 x's a week and run on my off days.
How are you on nuts? great boost of protein and carbs. Hummus is good too, with some veg. mmmm I eat more veg than fruit. Cheese and a few crackers are a good snack too.
Good luck and congrats on your success!
kellybelly333
on 5/31/12 2:18 am - Toronto, Canada
It ws so hard when they told me to eat more carbs. I have no problem with them, and didn't want to think about it. I eat bananas and peanut butter, but didn't start that until I was a year out. That is my snack 45 minutes before I work out. Which helps with my low sugar issues. Cheese and wheat crackers are my staple snacks.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

tango123
on 5/31/12 7:06 am
ha Kelly banana/PB are my latest addiction. Organic PB.
Cheese and triscuits are oh so yummy too.
Most Active
Recent Topics