Inquiry for my mom - Mexico surgeons

Jeff Z.
on 6/13/12 10:14 am, edited 6/13/12 10:23 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Hi all,

So my mom called me and I was taken aback when she said she was planning to have surgery and that she had a consultation with some friends of ours at a local lap-band clinic (not having the band, but their staff are obviously knowledged on bariatric surgery).

At any rate she doesn't want to wait the length of time it takes to have surgery in Ontario and is planning on having surgery somewhere in Mexico.

I directed her to the websites of Dr. Aceves and Dr. Joya as well for her to look over.  I have no idea and thought maybe others who have either had surgery in Mexico or know someone who had surgery there.  

At any rate I appreciate any feedback and I know my mom would appreciate it as well.  I've told her to consider signing up here, but then I said I take that back as then I lose my ability to speak freely, lol.

ETA:  She is planning for a VSG.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/12 10:19 am, edited 6/13/12 10:25 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Jeff she obviously went to CIBO to be referred to him.  Not sure if you are aware of this or not but Nisrine there is Dr. Joffe's wife who was also one of his first band patients.  They railroad anyone wanting to go to Mexico to him.  I would stay as far away from him as possible and am happy that you told your mom.  If you check out Dr. Joffe's website you will see that Nisrine is listed on there as his patient director or something like that just like she is listed on CIBO's website as the same. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going on there.

She can self pay with Gagner too if she is interested.  I believe he charges $13k for a virgin VSG and some of the reputable ones in Mexico are charging $9k but then you have to pay for a flight on top of that.  Food for thought for her.

ETA:   Here is a recent link off the Mexico board where people discuss their surgeons and prices and experiences.  It may be worth reading a few pages on that board to get familiarized with the surgeons' reputations down there.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/4538968/who-is-the-BEST-ga stric-sleeve-doctor-in-mexico-with/

LuAnne H.
on 6/13/12 12:40 pm - London, Canada

"Fancy Roses" had hers done in Mexico.  She is on the Nova Scotia Forum.  She will parobably be happy to answer any questions.  She also had a VSG.

Lu

Referal Apr.17, 10   Orientation Feb.24, 11  !st  App (SW,NUT.RN) May 17, 11
2nd App (SM,NUT,RN) Jul. 7,11, Post-op Nut class Jan 13,12,  surgeon Feb27,12
surgery April 5,2012
ND2BTHN
on 6/14/12 2:37 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 There are many happy patients on the vsg board who went to Mexico. Dr. Aceves is a favourite for many Canadians. Tell her to do her research on the top Mexico surgeons. There is only a handful, who are the most reputable, but her choice all depends on her preferences.

The top surgeons, performs strictly through a hospital, and some others perform out of an outpatient strip mall clinic, and use recovery houses. The most popular surgeons are Dr. Aceves, Dr. Alvarez, and Dr, Ungson, who operate only out of hospitals. Patients spend the first night in a hotel, and the rest in the hospital and cost around $8,000 or more + airfare. The next popular but cheaper and more controversial are Dr. Kelly, Dr. Joya, Dr. Ponce De Leon and Dr. Almanza. (in that order) They each work out of a hospital or outpatient clinic, and you either stay in a hotel or recovery house post surgery. They typically cost anywhere between $5,000 -$7,000 + airfare. 

Best thing is to talk to all the people on the vsg board. Many Americans go to Mexico too, so there are plenty of advice, and experiences to learn from. Finally do not let the price be the deciding factor. Care, facilities, experience, satisfaction, complication rate, and after care are all huge issues to think about. 

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Most Active
Recent Topics