Hair Loss & Cutting it!

Sunnydaz
on 6/28/12 12:53 pm
This one is for all of the post-opers...for those of you who lost hair.  Once it started happening, did you cut your hair shorter....what was your experience

Orientation: Oct. 5/11     NP: Nov. 16/11     SW: Nov. 16/11
NC: Nov. 23/11     N-1on1: Jan. 6/12     PSYC: Jan. 6/12
Surgeon:  Feb. 24/12     Surgery:  March 20/12

Kerigan
on 6/28/12 1:06 pm
 Nope :) I didn't cut my hair. But boy, did I ever lose a lot. I started losing hair quite quickly, and steadily up until about a month ago. I didn't think it would ever stop, but now when I shower or brush my hair, I barely lose any. I was afraid during those 5 months though that I would end up going bald lol.. It was ridiculous how much hair at a time would come out, but I think because I did at the time have quite thick hair, the hair loss wasn't as noticable to everyone else (except me). I couldn't bear the thought of chopping mine off.. 

PaulaToronto
on 6/28/12 1:51 pm - Toronto, Canada
I cut mine, stopped washing it as often and blowing it dry.  With my new style I can let it air dry in the summer heat.  I am still losing it but it doesn't feel like I am losing as much and the hair on my pillow looks less. I figure its only hair and will grow back so why fuss with it now.  I think handling it less makes a difference.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

JJ_
on 6/28/12 5:35 pm
I spoke with the hairdresser and she recommended that I layer it.  When it was straight, the hair loss would have been more noticeable.  With the layers I find it gave my hair more body.

happypants
on 6/28/12 11:06 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I had long hair and must have cut it four times in six weeks, each time shorter and shorter. Seeing my hair in the drain really upset me and was a reminder of how much was actually falling out.

Now I am in the process of letting it grow back but I have to admit that short is WAY easier to manage.

Try not to stress though, it does slow down and stop falling out once it runs it course.

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Susan B.
on 6/29/12 1:24 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
It falls out~in handfuls, Mine started after the 3 month mark.  I have long and thick hair.  Preop I had my hair cut all one length because ti looks less frizzy (I have wavy-frizzy in humidity)

I understand it does stop at some point~I am 4 and half months out and it does seem to be slowing a bit.

I have found my hair is also dry-so I don't wash as often, I tend to ponytail it - no blow drying or flattening on regular basis.  But that is also typical of me in summer. 

It is only hair, it will grow back, and even if I go completely bald just think of the awesome options for wigs!!!!

My suggestion talk to your hair dresser explore how your hair would work best as it falls out and get that cut. 

I don't know if its the same for everyone but I have found it falls out all over so there is not any one area that is a "bald" spot.  This is a huge advantage. 

Have a great long weekend everyone~~Have fun and play safe!!

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

binaakwe
on 6/30/12 11:34 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 08/13/12
StevesGal
on 6/30/12 12:54 pm - Hamilton, Canada
My hair was already just past shoulder-length when this started, so I just cut it really short and layered.  I really only had a small area that thinned out - right in the front left side where my hair parts - but nothing came out in masses like some experience.

I was told NOT to put it in a ponytail, as the strain of pulling it adds to the loss.

Ask your hairdresser if she can see any thin areas, and if so, how you can cover them easily during this short period of time.  Sometimes just changing the style helps cover up a thinning patch.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.