Ottawa Orientation

KAT_P
on 7/7/12 1:11 am, edited 7/7/12 1:35 am - Canada
RNY on 06/05/13
Went to the Ottawa orientation session yesterday at 1pm.  A nurse practictioner gave the presentation.   Here are some of the stats he gave:

-  1600 files currently in their centre.  These 1600 people are at different stages but all in the process leading up to surgery.

-they do about 40 surgeries per month

-800 surgeries done in the past 3 years.

- out of 800 surgeries there were 3 deaths over the past 3 years

-  wait time from orientation to first appointment - 16 to 18 months (this is strange because I haven't seen anyone wait that long for a first appointment)

- wait time from first appointment to surgery -no timeline given even when asked.  Only responses was-  it's a "race"  through the steps depending on who is "the most ready" for surgery first

-advised everyone to start Saturday keeping a food journal

-any tests/surgeries/blood work done outside of the Ottawa hospital, they want us to get copies of the results and bring to the first appointment

Observations/comments:

2 people walked out ten minutes into the presentation.  One was close to 65 and when he heard the timeline and how they dont' do surgery on anyone over 65 - he grumbled something i couldn't hear and walked out.

The second one walked out when they started talking about nutrition and showing and how to start eating properly in order to get ready for surgery.  He said he wasn't there for a nutrition lecture and walked out. 

Then someone asked this question:

" All of us here have a problem with food addicition and making healthy food choices.  If we could do this properly, then we woudn't need surgery.  You're asking us to change our habits starting tomorrow and do something that up to now hasn't worked.  Why would  it be any different/easier starting tomorrow?" 

The nurse's response to this was that to be considered a candiate for surgery you have to start changing your eatingand exercise habits NOW.

I realize that they want you to get a realistic picture of everything involved in the surgery and make sure people know it's not about being "skinny" and a not a quick fix  but about health and risk of dying from not reducing weight. 

However, my general impression is that they want to encourage as many people as possible to avoid the surgery and look at other alternatives for reaching a healthier weight.

They gave out a green sheet that you had to sign and hand in at the desk at the end of the session.  You had to pick one of three options:  (1) continue in the process for surgery (2) investigage with the weigh management centre other alternatives (3) cancel file.

It was hard to guauge what people answered on their sheets as people weren't  too talkative and we were 2-3 people per table. 

Ottawa Referral:June 1, 2012 ~ Information Session:July 6, 2012~ Sleep Study: July 6, 2012  Nurse:December 12, 2012~ Social Worker and Dietician:February 5, 2013 ~ Ultrasound: March 15, 2013Nutrition class: March 27, 2013 ~ Surgeon Consult: April 4, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Surgery: June 5, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Plastic Surgery: March 10, 2015 (Fleur-de-Lis Tummy Tuck)

chipmunk_roasting
on 7/7/12 2:39 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
Thanks for the very detailed information, Kat.   It's quite helpful.

And -- welcome :)

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

cutekatie
on 7/7/12 3:01 am, edited 7/7/12 3:02 am
RNY on 05/16/12
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunate that older person was not told ahead of time they were not a candidate.

As for the other people I am not surprised. So many people seem to think its an easy way out and get upset when they find out they have to work.

Also want to mention that its people not on this board.

Just reread your post. I think they want the best stats so discouraging people who wont be successful is a good solution. Why waste time and energy and money on someone who will back out or be non complient after surgery and have complications.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

BrigitteD
on 7/7/12 5:18 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Ottawa his great clinic.  I'm two months out and I started to do all the changes after orientation.  I'm glad because it help me understand what my life was going to be like for the rest of my life.  They just don't want to loose time with people that won't commit to the changes.  Some of this changes if not made can be life treating after surgery!  Good luck on youre journey!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Bangs
on 7/7/12 5:41 am
Kat, I was there as well.

My orientation and journey to become physically strong to be able to endure and recover well from the surgery prompted me to start a petition to health care canada.

I've been trying to be more mobile and physically strong, working out with a personal trainer but can't afford anymore sessions with them. Working out alone is hard since they were there to guide me and make exercise programs that were within my physical means to do. Currently, our health care system doesn't provide assistance with this, they only fund the surgery. I'm hoping to change that.

Pls see the petition and share it with your friends.

Thanks,

Chantel

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/health-care-canada-fun d-personal-training-sessions-for-members-of-the-bariatric-co mmunity
debralight
on 7/7/12 7:12 am - Canada
This might sound Bad but i think asking someone to pay for a personal fitness trainer for me, or for other weight loss surgery patients is outside my comfort zone.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

cutekatie
on 7/7/12 10:36 am
RNY on 05/16/12
I agree as well. I have access to a personal trainer but have decided to do it alone because I need the motivation inside me to exercise on a daily basis.

Now if we want to talk about the costs of fitness classes that is a different story.  I am very lucky that I had the surgery in the Spring.  When winter hits I'm going to have to pay for either a gym membership to use their treadmill or buy one myself.

girlgonewild123
on 7/7/12 11:55 am - Ottawa, Canada
 I have a question.  Who is health care Canada?  If you mean Health Canada they will not fund any health care service as health care service delivery is the jurisdiction of the provinces.  You would have to petition the Ontario government.
straberryz
on 7/7/12 8:51 am - Ottawa, Canada
wow the wait got alot longer. December2012 ott info session..... they said 9 month wait from orientation to first appt.....i waited 7.....i think they over estimate.
cutekatie
on 7/7/12 10:35 am
RNY on 05/16/12
They always over estimate so people don't get anxious.

Most Active
Recent Topics