a little bit peeved....

maryjakedesa
on 7/7/12 5:07 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hey everyone,
I am a little bit upset at the way things are going for my surgery....normally I am a patient person but the situation that is currently happening with me and making me both nervous and frustrated. I met with the surgeon Dr. Rotstein on June 8/12 and was told someone from his office would get back to me in a week with a surgery date...well no one called the first week so I let another week pass and still no call...so I called and left a message...4 days pass and nothing...so I call again and left another message....so now almost one month later still no call....I called the admin dept instead of the clinic to see what was going on, and they advised that my name was on the august list for surgery and that I should call the clinic on friday as the receptionist was off on...well here comes the frustrating part....I call friday and finally get a hold of the clinic only to find out that they don't know what my surgery date is because she (the receptionist I was talking to) must have accidently double booked someone with my date but she doesn't know who...so now she has to investigate and get back to me and that my surgery may not happen in august but in September....I know its only a month difference but some of the people that were going to help me during my surgery will be returning to school ( college) and having very few family and friends it makes it difficult....I am sorry for the long rant but I am just so frustrated and angry at the incompetence of people who hold my life in their hands.....I had some reservations about st.mikes before due to a childhood incident that left a bad taste in my mouth and now this just doesn't help ...I just don't know what to do....
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest
Mary
Monica M.
on 7/7/12 9:37 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
i know this is frustrating, but there's not much you can do about it, really.

St. Mikes is a very good hospital. My sister had her kidney transplant there, and all the staff were very conscientious and kind.

Brenda T.
on 7/7/12 10:29 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I'm so sorry for your frustration Mary,

It does help to vent. I hope you hear soon with an august date, and that all works out for you.

Hang in there.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

paparufus
on 7/7/12 10:39 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
I don't want to sound too harsh, but remember they are paing for your surgery which would cost you $30,000 if not covered by OHIP.  Be patient and be grateful.

PatXYZ
on 7/8/12 3:35 am
Please. This surgery costs OHIP less than $10,000 to perform. I paid triple that in taxes last year. The OP is entitled to competent and adequate healthcare as a taypayer and Canadian citizen. We don't have to shut up and take whatever they are willing to give whenever they want to just because our healthcare is provided by the state. Healthcare is not free, we all pay for it, just not all at once at the time of our surgeries.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Starr_Fish
on 7/9/12 4:02 am
I agree with you Pat
cutekatie
on 7/7/12 11:31 pm
RNY on 05/16/12
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this frustration. My surgery was bumped back a month as well because they cancelled my appointment with the surgeon and forgot to call me to reschedule.

With that said.. you don't really need a lot of help after surgery unless you have children and no partner to take care of them.  You just need someone to drive you to the hospital and someone to pick you up.  If you take your pain meds properly you will be fine.

Hope that helps.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Leafsfan1982
on 7/8/12 12:36 am - Canada
awww so sorry about that.
You should ask if dr grantchaov(not spelling it right)if he has any openings earlier for july or august.She had given me this info and i told her yes i wanted the surgery as soon as possible,she said the dr office would call me next day,and they did.They have dates in july to fill still i believe,if not then august forsure.U shouldcall then back tmorrow and ask
:)
jewel-twin
on 7/8/12 1:00 am - Canada
Ya that sounds very frustrating... About St. Mikes... They are awesome... My husband Had his right leg amputated there! We go there for EVERYTHING with him...they are very thorough and have saved his life more then once... World class Dr.s are there...

Everything will be fine and they will get you booked... fingers crossed it will still be in August...
maryjakedesa
on 7/8/12 2:02 am - Scarborough, Canada
Thanks everyone for your advice I appreciate it...I think I was just upset and surprised at how unorganized the clerk was...I know things will work out..I am extremely grateful and fortunate at having this surgery and having not to worry about paying for it out of pocket ...
Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics