How long does it take?

Cindyloowho
on 7/29/12 5:19 am, edited 7/29/12 6:50 am - London, Canada
  Hi I am new on here and  was wondering if anyone knew about how long it takes to get the surgery.  My request was sent in to the Guelph hospital in September 2011 and received a letter to go to their mandatory information session on September 6th.  I don't know what happens after that and was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes after that approximately till the ball gets rolling and when possible surgery (eg year or so).  If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.  I don't have much support except the busy doctor so I was looking to know any information.. Thank you
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/12 6:00 am - Canada
Hi there Welcome aboard:)

Every centre is different..I am going through the Sudbury one...referrel was Nov/11 and my surgery will be Dec/12.

you will get lots of support here..looking forward to hearing all about your journey!

Cindyloowho
on 7/29/12 6:04 am - London, Canada
 That's great thank you. This is all new to me and I don't have much support and this site seems quite supportive.
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/12 6:04 am - Windsor, Canada
 For most, it is generally 9 months to 1.5 years.  

Youll do orientation, classes, meet with the dieitican, surgeon, nurse, endocrinologist etc. various appointments and changes to be made lifestyle wise.   It will take time and patience.  Please use this time to learn everything you can. 

You only get one chance.  There is lots to learn.  Guelph will only teach you so much.  Look into a local support group, buy wls for dummies, start researching surgery types and read everything you can.  It will be the best thing you'll ever do for you but it will also be challenging at times. 

Good luck,
Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/12 9:08 am - Guelph, Canada
 Times for Guelph have been two+ years now at this point
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/12 11:51 am - Windsor, Canada
 She has her orientation.  Wouldn't it be another 1-1.5 years now!? I thought part of the big wait for Guelph was for orientation. That's what I'd heard?

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/12 12:01 pm - Guelph, Canada
 It really depends on how many get transferred to the other centers who have agreed to help with the backlog. When I was at my last appointment (July 17) I asked how long the wait was now I was told the expected time was 1-1 1/2.... But they in reality are looking at two after the summer break  

I think the operating room renos may be a factor too
Leslie W.
on 7/29/12 6:13 am - Cobourg, Canada
Went through TWH and it was about 14 months from referrral to surgery.
Just want to say welcome!

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/12 6:32 am - Toronto, ON
 I went through Humber (HRRH). My referral sent April 16,2012. Surgery is August 8,2012
Cindyloowho
on 7/29/12 6:43 am - London, Canada
 Holy that was fast where is Humber? I know I can't go there but was wondering where that was.  It is funny how I waited just to go in for an orientation session for a year and then they say you still have to go through all the tests and then surgery and your right in there that is fantastic for  you, keep in touch to how it goes I am glad for you
Most Active
Recent Topics