Type 1 diabetics

Donna E.
on 9/3/12 10:42 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12
Is there any type 1 diabetics who have had RNY.  I have had type 1 diabetics since I was three and had my  RNY 2.5 weeks ago.  Just wondering what to expect in the future.  So many type 2 and insulin dependant type 2, but no juvenile diabetes.

ShallowGirl
on 9/3/12 11:07 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Are you still checking your blood sugars and taking insulin?

I think Type 1's produce no insulin.  Type 2's have insulin but have developed resistance.

I know a lot of Type 2's have fabulous results, but they have endogenous (self produced) insulin to carry the glucose into their cells, once their cells stop resisting.

I don't know, but I think for you as a type 1, you're going to have to keep checking and taking insulin.  I think you just need to be really careful of an insulin OD since you are eating less, but at 3 weeks out you know that.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

fxygal
on 9/3/12 12:03 pm
Hi there,
I am type 1 but pre op. Ive been looking for the same info. Ive tried the diabetic forum but little is posted there regarding type 1's. Since your post op I hope you don't mind answering some of my Q's.
Are you on the pump or injections? if on the pump were you off it post surgery?
how was your expedience during opti and with post op diet?
What was your A1C pre-op?

Sorry to be a bug but your the first Type 1 diabetic I've come across! When i met w the NP at TWH she said I was the third Type 1 diabetic they have ever dealt with at that clinic.

Thanks so much for your help,
Andrea

oct'12 - 230lbs, pre opti - 219, post opti - 209

Donna E.
on 9/3/12 1:30 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12
Hi Andrea,
I do not mind answering any questions. 
I am on injections, I thought about the pump, but did not think I could deal being hooked up to a pump for 24 hours.  I might consider it in the future.
I was taking 60 units of lantus in the evening and 1 unit of humalog for every 3 gram of carbs pre opti.
During opti the diabetic Dr. through TWH gave me a new scale to follow during opti.  I was taking about 30 units of lantus in the evening and about 4-10 units of humalog before my opti.
So far post diet I am doing about the same as with opti (insulin wise)
My AIC in July was 9.8.
I was the first type 1 at TWH.  I was a smoker and it took my about 20 months for surgery.
I was so scared and wanted a big sign that said type 1 on my file lol.   Everybody kept saying all during training, you may be off all diabetic meds...............
I even asked the surgeon if I may be in the hospital longer then normal due to my diabetics.  The surgeon said "No, most of my patients are diabetic".  Scared the crap out of me that the surgeon was not aware of my medical file before major surgery!
At the hospital I was taking 12 units of lantus in the evening.  The diabetic team say me at St. Mikes.  They questioned me if I was sure that I was a type 1 as I was taking so much less insulin.  Not sure what they were thinking???  I was eating icechips only.  How much insulin did they think I would be taking?  I was almost in tears trying to ensure them that I was properly diagnosed as type 1.  Even after I told them that I was diagnosed at 3 years of age as I was peeing all the time, sleepy and lost lots of weight, they still was not sure.

Good luck and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/3/12 2:09 pm - Windsor, Canada
there's a forum just for diabetics here on OH that you might want to go to.

Just go to forums ---.medical conditions ----- diabetes  :)

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Donna E.
on 9/3/12 2:24 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12
On the diabetic form it is 99.9% type 2's.
Type 1 is only about 10% of the diabetics world wide.
But thanks for the idea

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/3/12 4:44 pm - Windsor, Canada
 That's a bummer.  Try the main board too then.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics