Me and my green bean. . .life sucks right now

OKNEE FE + 3
on 9/5/12 4:19 pm
Hi my name is OKNEE and I have a VSG.  I am 12 days shy of my third anniversary and today I received the most shocking news of my life.

As a quick re-cap my surgeon took over 90% of my stomach away, I had a leak and an abscess as a result of that leak and, because the clinical fellow forgot to prescribe my PPI I developed an ulcer that ran from my epiglottis through to my duodenum.  I was on full fluids for three months (so forgive my less than tolerant reaction when a few of you are tired of fluids within seven days).  The size of my stomach remnant is more like a green bean than a banana.  Because of it's small size I have what I lovingly refer to as "GERD from HELL"

On the upside I have been very successful losing close to 200 pounds in just under 2 years, I was able to run again and recapture my life and loves. . .heck I can even maintain my own toe nails!  I have met many great people within the bariatric community and some . . .(well not so much).  I have been able to advance my knowledge and career in directions that directly effect the Bariatric Community specifically Iron Deficiencies, and anemia.

So what is so wrong with my life right now you may ask. . .

Well, I had a gastroscopy today, because I have been having significant pain when I haven`t eaten and the consensus was that I have an ulcer.

I kinda wished I had an ulcer.

I have several gastric polyps along the suture line of my greater curvature.  I have a hiatus hernia (my green bean keeps slipping up into my chest cavity, which is the source of my pain) and significant esophageal erosion from the ``GERD from HELL``  The resolution of this is a revision of my sleeve to be yet again smaller, anchor what is left of my stomach to the underside of my diaphragm and potentially remove a section of my esophagus. . .

Excuse my lack of `happy dance`right now. . .but I still can honestly say if I had to do it over again my reply would be an unequivocal `HELL YA!!!!``  as the quality of my life despite all of these complications is still far better than what it was.

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Kerry F.
on 9/5/12 4:29 pm - Bolton, Canada
Wow.  I'm really, really sorry that you have to go through this.  Your post made me gasp.  I forget sometimes - though I try not to - that WLS has far-reaching consequences that aren't always good and can't always be forseen.  It reminds me to continue to listen to my body and be mindful of changes no matter how small. 

It's reassuring to also hear you say that you still have no regrets.  I wish you a safe surgery and a quick recovery. 

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

OKNEE FE + 3
on 9/5/12 8:06 pm
It's more than listening to the cues your body is giving you, you ned to have people listen to you when you tell them your having issues.  Part of my problem is my high pain threshold. . .my surgeon said someone with issues like mine should have shown up in the ER monago, not stopping him in the hallway and :"inquiring".

I have my marching orders now and won't just let it ride if things get tough again

Oknee's just gotta dance
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/12 4:45 pm - Oshawa, ON, Canada
VSG on 01/28/13
I'm really sorry you're dealing with all of this I hope that this revision is able to give you some resolution to all the crap you're dealing with.
OKNEE FE + 3
on 9/5/12 8:06 pm
Thanks

Oknee's just gotta dance

birdiegirl
on 9/5/12 4:55 pm
HI Leona

WOW.....I really feel for you......I'm not sure if the surgery is soon....but I hope all goes well....you sure need a break

I am so sorry for you that they were never able to control your GERD....its nasty when severe....I had it very bad pre wls......don't miss it at all

I sure hope this is the last revision you will have - don't want your green bean to disappear completely...

Take care....and again, I am so sorry for your difficulties

Barb

OKNEE FE + 3
on 9/5/12 8:07 pm
Thanks Barb

Oknee's just gotta dance

ShallowGirl
on 9/5/12 5:23 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I'm very sorry to hear that, I hope it all works out and the green bean stays with you. Best wishes.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

OKNEE FE + 3
on 9/5/12 8:08 pm
Thanks

Oknee's just gotta dance

JJ_
on 9/5/12 5:29 pm
OMG, what an outcome.  My hat is off to you as you are such a trooper through this S&?$ pile.

I remember hearing about people with stomach cancer and they would have a total gastrectomy....yep NO MORE STOMACH.  I just shook my head and couldn`t believe it. 

Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.  *big hugs**

Judy
Most Active
Recent Topics