Drinking with a straw

Donna E.
on 9/10/12 1:00 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12
 I am type 1 diabetic.  Last night I woke up and my sugar was low (1.9).  I always have a drinking box in my night table for this purpose.  I forgot, and  I drank it with the straw.  OMG gas pain.  Now I see why they say not to use a straw 

sasygal
on 9/10/12 1:31 pm - Canada
painful lesson learned....maybe rip the straw off the side of the drinking box so you don't forget another time.
fxygal
on 9/10/12 2:47 pm
That sucks! Its bad enough having to wake up w a low, but then to have to deal with the pain cause of a silly mistake...brutal. Im pre op and what ive done is put a bottle of Dex tables on my night stand now just to get used to it, in case the lows happen. Have you dumped from treating a low? That my fear post op.

Best of luck,
Andrea

oct'12 - 230lbs, pre opti - 219, post opti - 209

Donna E.
on 9/10/12 4:08 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12
 Thanks for the suggestion of ripping off the straw and sugar tablets.
I will do both.
As for dumping>>>>>>>>>>Not Yet, I hope never.  I have read that dumping happens due to insulin pouring into your body aftyer you eat sweets.  If that is the case, then I will never have dumping. Being type 1, I produce no insulin.  

kellybelly333
on 9/11/12 7:28 am - Toronto, Canada
How long have you been Type 1? Just wondering if you started as a child, or as an adult with Type 2 that slipped into Type 1 with weight gain? Do you always get lows at night? I'm hypoglycemic now, and never test during the night, although I have wondered if I should, since i've woken cold and shaky and still sleepy.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Donna E.
on 9/11/12 7:36 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12
 I  have been diabetic since 3 years of age  I always test before bed so I know how much insulin to take  Most of my lows do happen in the middle of the night .  

JJ_
on 9/10/12 7:28 pm

ouch!!  Sorry to hear that you experienced pain while drinking through a straw.  You could try it some other time to see if you no longer experience any discomfort.  I can drink through a straw.  If I ingest any air, I burp it up immediately.  No pain.

Judy

ShallowGirl
on 9/10/12 8:23 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Interesting that dumping is caused by insulin. I didn't know that.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Heidi S.
on 9/10/12 8:49 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
OH no maybe keep a small bottle of juice there rather then a juic box.
How have your sugars been other wise? Are you still on all your diabetic meds? I curious I was off mine for the whole pre op diet then today and yesterda I have to add in some insulin

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Donna E.
on 9/11/12 6:36 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12
 Hi Heidi,  I will never be off insulin as I am type 1.  I have been diabetic since 3 years of age.  But my sugars are much better and I take about half my insulin amounts compared to post op.  

Most Active
Recent Topics