Heart rate affecting surgery??

RazzBJam
on 9/24/12 5:23 am - Canada

With now seeing a new Dr. and I have already been registered to the bariatric program and found out they received my referral in Sudbury about 2 weeks ago.  I am patiently awaiting my orientation date!! :)  But in the mean time, my dr. and NP are checking me thru and thru to make sure there's no reason for me not to qualify.  But they noticed that I have a very low heartbeat.  When she took it, it was 47/minute which in the past I averaged in the 50's but she wanted me to have a holster heart monitor on me for 48 hours to see how my  heart does during the day but mainly in the night while I am sleeping.  I don't think I have any symptoms of poor circulation or dizziness or anything of that sort...I am not anticipating anything negative. 

Do they send everyone for a sleep test to verify if you have sleep apnea?  I am reading up on alot and I am trying to prepare myself in taking vitamins ect...anybody have any suggestions on what I should be taking? so when it comes time for blood work it can be already good?

Thanks a bunch...you are all the best on here!! :)

Monica M.
on 9/24/12 5:55 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Hey there. Hopefully you hear about appointments and things go well for you.

A low heartbeat won't necessarily affect your surgery. The testing that they've suggested is important, to make sure that your general health is good. It could be that your heart rate is just normally low.

Sleep test for apnea isn't necessarily on everyone's list, if you meet the criteria for sleep apnea, based on the questions on a questionnaire that you get (daytime sleepiness, feeling rested or not when you get up, snoring, etc), then you'll have one.

Take a good multivitamin, with iron, any women's formula from a reputable company should be ok. That's all you should need before hand.

I hope you continue to get lots of good info from here.

Mon

ShallowGirl
on 9/24/12 9:43 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I think Dr. Glazer at HRRH in Toronto sends everyone for a sleep apnea test. Be happy - if you have sleep apnea it HELPS you qualify for surgery.

Re low heart rate - as long as you oxygenate fine, I don't see why it's a problem. Could just mean you are very fit !

The holter monitor will check for rhythm abnormalities over a 24 hour period. Simple test. Let them check !

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Bonnie ABC
on 9/24/12 9:53 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 I've had the holter a few times now.  Write down what you are doing.  Mind drops into the '30's, but there is a problem.  Kingston next friday again for me for a nuclear scan as the last one had reading problems
Btw, I was 30 coming out of my rny, and 24 during my plastics.  Sometimes we are just slow.  

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 9:57 am - Straford, Canada
I had two sleep studies, two stress EKG tests, one angiogram and a partridge in a friggin pear tree but they took me anyway!  LOL  In some cases the studies they will do are simply to inform the docs what they might see during surgery, esp the anethesiologist needs all the info they can have regarding your heart and lung functions.  It is my opinion that they do cover their bases pretty well pre op.  Go with the flow was my policy.  
gardeninggal
on 9/24/12 10:38 am - Midland, Canada
 congrats on your new doc and all!  You must be feeling pretty excited and happy that the show is on the road.  

Most Active
Recent Topics