Incredibly dissapointed in Ottawa Civic Weight Clinic

irobot
on 11/16/12 5:42 am - Canada

I don't know about anyone else, but my experience with the weight loss clinic at the Ottawa Hospital falls somewhere in the lowest possible score I could give anyone.  From start to now I have had nothing but cranky people (too clinical), and virtually no communication from the start.  I am still waiting for them to call me AGAIN after my surgery last week, but I won't hold my breath.  I'm sure they'll probably call an hour before they want me to come down although that's not a possibility. Every time I've waited for them to call me for 'another' appointment I've been the one that has to call eventually and every time they say..."oh, we were just about to call you.." bull**** They have been incompetent and bordering on negligible. I am so mad at them I could spit!  My journey for this began over 2 years ago and most people I know that were at the info session either dropped out or have already had the surgery last year!

Anyone else have this kind of negative experience with these guys?

I'm really trying to stay positive but it's so hard with all that's going on this week and with the pain and they are my target now, I'm going to do this IN SPITE of them not because of them!

jennb3
on 11/16/12 6:04 am - Canada
I understand where you're coming from. My file got 'lost' after I was cleared by the 'in training' dietician cause she didn't know what to do with it.
I had my surgery last week, over 2 years since my referral.
The care by surgeons and staff in trauma unit was incredible but have had lits of trouble with the folks who 'answer the phones' in the clinic.
I called Tuesday with some concerns over heartburn, left a message, called again, left message. They called me following day left a MSG for me to call the nurse(but no #). I called back and got transferred, left a MSG for the nurse and still haven't heard back. I gave up and went and spoke to pharmacist.
I had my 1 week post op apt today and expressed my concerns to the nurse I saw(not the same one I left MSG for). I was told they are training new front desk staff so things are slow blah blah and this nurse gave me her direct extension.
It's frustrating that you're told to call if whatever happens and they don't even bother to call u back.
I hope you get some service soon.
If you need some direct extension numbers of ppl for a faster service and to avoid the most often useless front desk staff, let me know, I have a few now
Hang in there!
referral: fall 2010, orientation: march 2011, nut/psyc: fall 2011, nurse: jan 2012,   tests: march 2012, pre-surg class: Sept 2012, surgeon, Sept. 2012.  Surgery:  Nov 8, 2012

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/12 7:43 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Did they deal with your heartburn issue.?????

jennb3
on 11/16/12 8:09 am - Canada
Yes, I got a 6 week prescription for Prevacid! Yay! Thankful for the nurse practitioner
referral: fall 2010, orientation: march 2011, nut/psyc: fall 2011, nurse: jan 2012,   tests: march 2012, pre-surg class: Sept 2012, surgeon, Sept. 2012.  Surgery:  Nov 8, 2012

Melissa.M
on 11/16/12 6:35 am - Canada

My journey with them is just beginning as my referral was just sent to them to be processed. I know, from reading here, that I am in for a long wait, poor communication and a frustrating experience. At least I'm going into it with low expectations so perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised. Can't go anywhere but up. LOL

irobot
on 11/16/12 10:22 am - Canada

Every case is unique, don't assume it will be a long wait, I know a few people who had their surgery a year after with no delays.  Good luck!

Dreamalittledream
on 11/16/12 6:56 am - Canada

I cannot agree more.  My journey began almost 2 years ago (referral:  March 2011).  I have been hung up on by the admin. Staff (calm conversation...obviously just called at the wrong time), I've been left on hold for 10min. + (finally hung up), I've driven 1 1/2 hours, paid parking, taken days off work to have a 3 min. follow-up meeting with Nut.  (How's everything going?  Good!  Any questions?  Nope).  I took the initiative to have some tests completed before...and had those test results never make it after repeated faxes in by my Family Doctor (who I know well).  I have learned 500 times more by my own research (& this forum) than I have from the team there.  My biggest frustration...the varied timelines!!!  People who are 8 months from start to finish (same tests etc.).  There is something completely wacko about the queue?!?!  Now that all said...I have met some really nice people too

Ottawa ~Referral Mar 2011~Orientation Aug 2011~Meet w Nurse May 14, 2012~Dietician/Behav/Abdo Ultrasound July 5, 2012~Colonoscopy Aug 8, 2012~Dietician#2 Aug 30, 2012~Endoscopy Nov 9, 2012~Pre-op class Jan 2, 2013~ Meet w Surgeon Jan 8, 2013 ~Start Optifast Feb 15, 2013 ~Pre-Admit. Mar 6, 2013 ~SURGERY March 8, 2013 (RNY/ Dr.  Raiche)~Post-op Class/Follow-up appt. April 25, 2013

cutekatie
on 11/16/12 8:36 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Clearly if you are so upset you should be calling your MPP and complaining about this.  Health care is a provincial matter and more money needs to be put into the system.

I know this will not solve the rudeness but people are rude in customer service if they are stressed, untrained, or not in a good work environment.

Switching to a different clinic won't solve the problem as eventually every clinic will be like this.  I've only been on this site a while and already I've heard that every single clinic is "slow, unorganized, etc." It seems depending on the day certain clinics are on the "hit list."

You get what you pay for and since healthcare is FREE it's hard to complain. Also hard to complain when it's an elective surgery.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

irobot
on 11/16/12 10:17 am - Canada

It's a little comforting to know others have had some issues but I'm sure it's localized enough so that nothing will get done about it. As for the free health care, we pay dearly in taxes, the staff aren't paid a pittance for their work, they are paid well, and by taxpayers.  As for the elective part, I would agree, but isn't everything elective unless it's an emergency? If you don't want it, you aren't pushed into it. 

From wikipedia "Many medically necessary surgeries are also elective surgeries. For example, inguinal hernia surgery, cataract surgery, mastectomy for breast cancer, and the donation of a kidney by a living donor are performed as elective surgeries"

If we didn't have the clinic, we would be in the US where I hear the care is phenomenal !  I'm not asking for that, just a little follow up to make sure everything is ok or any questions after the surgery?  After all, what else are they there for but to provide care, and who needs it more than someone post surgery?

Most of my delays were for more tests and all the time delays that are involved in that..(referral -delay, get the appointment-delay, wait for results - delay, reschedule another appointment in clinic - delay. And on and on it seemed.)

I also agree that I have learned far more from this and other sites than anything learned in sessions.  I also agree that the trauma was very professional.

Anyway, I'm in pain, I'm frustrated, scared and confused, and I wanted to vent. Thank you for the opportunity.  I'm glad others haven't all had negative experiences.

sam1am
on 11/16/12 10:21 am

Just as an fyi many clinics are said to read this boards, so if you have any worries about your post being identifiable to you and you are not comfortable with it, then feel free to edit.  I believe there should be a patient advocate that you should be able to contact if you are unhappy with their services.

All the best,

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics