Crap. I'm a dumper

macrobug1
on 11/22/12 5:20 am

I have noticed that sweet foods are really sweet. I can not stand the sweetness of SF puddings, jello etc.  I even find milk sweet.  Today I got the bright idea of making a protein shake with milk, 1/4 banana and a small amount of SF icecream.  All foods allowed at TWH.  Two sips in and it hit.  Cramps, nausea and headache.  Just as symptoms were settling down one of the NPs returned a call I made earlier this week. We decided that yep, I'm a dumper.   

No donuts for me.  

Onward and
Downward

on 11/22/12 5:35 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

There is a silver lining, though.  I'm a dumper too, I've learned.  I haven't had a full-scale major dumping session, but I've had a couple of mini-dumps - one over canned herring, and one over a protein shake that conformed to TWH guidelines as well.

Now, I haven't had as severe a reaction as you did to milk or banana - that's a drag.  I can drink skim milk without a problem.  Haven't tried SF ice cream or bananas yet, probably won't try the ice cream.  I can eat NSA pudding, thank goodness, because that's one of the few ways I can get in the unflavoured protein powder without noticing it.

I'm glad that I know that I dump.  It's making me really, really careful of what I eat.  I wouldn't be glad if my stomach were as touchy as yours is, but maybe that will get better over time for you.

I hope you can find some good things that you can eat and that you like.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Julia P.
on 11/22/12 5:39 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that!  I know bananas are high in natural sugar, so that might have been what did it.  Or, are you sensitive to Sugar Alcohols?  There could be some in the SF ice cream.

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

johjen
on 11/22/12 6:07 am

This post made me LOL...

Sorry you are a dumper but in the long run it will make sure you dont go back to eating twinkies and ice cream!  There is the silver lining!

Take good care!

macrobug1
on 11/22/12 7:12 am

I have been making my shakes with all the above foods.  The only new one was the SF ice cream.  Thats the bad one. 

So I guess this means my love affair with Haagen Dazs is truely over. Eh.

Now if veggies and fruit make me dump I will be really upset.

NorthernStar
on 11/22/12 7:52 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

It might have been the SF ice cream - it's not even necessarily that you dumped, it could have been a reaction to sugar alcohols if there are any in the ice cream. I'm too scared to try it, I've read so many stories of people that have been sick on it. I have not dumped but I haven't really eaten sugar either since surgery, I'm too scared to get sick.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that you dumped (though I'm sorry you felt so sick), if it helps you stay away from sugars.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 8:03 am - Guelph, Canada

i wish i was a dumper 

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 8:04 am - Straford, Canada

the title of your post immediately made me think of this oldie but a goodie...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmVusVh4TRQ

Melissa.M
on 11/22/12 11:04 pm - Canada

Part of the reason I want RNY over VSG is because of the dumping. I think it could be a useful tool/reminder if I slip up, so I hope I'm a dumper.. LOL

girlgonewild123
on 11/23/12 3:16 am - Ottawa, Canada
I too have a real problem with sugar or fat. I am grateful!!! this helps keep me headed in the right direction avoiding bad choices I want to make. I think this is why I have been so successful.

long live the dumpers and never may we dump!

Tracey
Most Active
Recent Topics