follow up after drs appt for weird back pain

stephanie2011
on 12/15/12 9:19 am - toronto, Canada

I saw my gp on Friday and explained the pain, the duration etc and asked him if it could be gallbladder.  He said that it isn't gallbladder since I don't have any other symptoms at all.   He was in a chatty mood and basically said that gallbladder follows the 4 F's, forty, fat, female and I can't remember the other.  Um, I am almost 40, previously, and still kind of fat and female so not sure where he was going with that.  LOL.  He really is a character - this is the same doctor who did not sugar coat the fact that I was feeling like crap because I was fat (for 2 years b4 surgery).  unfortunately he was right but I was really pissed off at him for a while.  He is also one of the city coroners so I guess he just see's so much at his 'night job' as he puts it and doesn't do 'bull****' very well.  Anyways, I digress....  He basically ordered a chest xray just based on the duration of the pain, volterin emulgel to apply and also apo-gabapentin which is prescribed for nerve pain.  I will take that for  the first time tonight.  I feel a bit like an idiot but it honestly feels better after a few repeated doses of tylenol and the volterin. 

So, no gallbladder issues for now.  I go back to see him after the holidays to follow up. 

Thanks for all of your advice and well wishes.

Steph

Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/12 9:30 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

The 4th F is for fertile.  I hope you get some relief from the gabapentin. Your pain didn't sound typical of gallbladder so hopefully it is just something that you pulled or your body is still adjusting to the weight loss.

stephanie2011
on 12/16/12 12:21 pm - toronto, Canada

I hope so too.  we'll see how it goes. 

chipmunk_roasting
on 12/15/12 10:18 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Glad you'e feeling somewhat better.   As I recall, the other ef was "fair".  Fair, fat, fourty ... bla bla bla.  :)

mmm

ShallowGirl
on 12/15/12 11:10 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

What did he say about possible kidney stones? 

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

stephanie2011
on 12/16/12 12:22 pm - toronto, Canada

Kidney stones weren't even mentioned.  I definately wasn't even thinking about them. 

sam1am
on 12/16/12 2:39 am

I was once told the 5 F`s:

Femaile

Fat

Fourty

Fertille

Fair

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

ShallowGirl
on 12/16/12 6:57 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I've heard the F's comment, but what about all the black & brown people who get gallstones, older women, and men in general?  

I think it's pretty inaccurate.  

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

sam1am
on 12/16/12 8:35 am

I'm guessing it is just more common if you have the 5 f's.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

JennR
on 12/16/12 12:25 pm
I did have excruiating back pain with my gallbladder problems and while unusual not off the radar. Glad you are feeling better.