Taking capsules after RNY

Onward and
Downward

on 12/20/12 7:58 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

My iron supplements just arrived from Vitalady!  I'm not sure why I didn't notice this, but they are in capsule form.

I understand that at this point (6 weeks out), we can swallow pills now.  But I'm wondering whether we're supposed to swallow capsules or open them up and eat the content.  I'm not worried about being able to swallow them, I'm just worried they'll go through my system before the capsule shell "melts" and that I won't absorb what's inside them.

I can call the clinic and ask tomorrow too, but just thought others here might know.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

mermaidz
on 12/20/12 8:14 am - Brampton, Canada

Are there instructions on the label?

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Onward and
Downward

on 12/20/12 8:18 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

No - there wouldn't be instruction on the label for what people who have had RNY should do.  It just says to take one or two capsules daily.  I'm just wondering whether we have to take them differently because of our surgery.

I don't remember whether we were told anything about that or not in the 1 month follow up.  I just know they told us that we can now swallow pills at this point if they're not too big, or that we can just cut them in half and swallow them if they seem big - we don't have to crush pills anymore.

But I can't remember whether they said anything about capsules.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/12 8:18 am - Guelph, Canada

I do capsules no problem... My Prevacid is a capsule 

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/12 8:33 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I do capsules several of my pills including iron. No problem.

birdiegirl
on 12/20/12 8:33 am

Why not send vitalady a PM.....or go to her site and send message....hopefully they will know

dna
on 12/20/12 8:39 am - Canada

I just got my iron pills and they are in capsule form.  I was told which ones to buy by TWH since my iron is super low.  She didn't say anything about opening them to take them.

Good luck !

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

kellybelly333
on 12/21/12 1:00 am - Toronto, Canada

What is it at, do you know? My ferratin has been as low as 2, with iron at 5. Extremely low. I have had four iron infusions. Are you taking Feramax?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

mermaidz
on 12/20/12 9:55 am - Brampton, Canada

I take capsules... Prevacid.. just started taking it again

dna..i'm sorry to hear your iron is low.. that sucks!

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

dna
on 12/20/12 10:17 am - Canada

Thanks ! lol  It makes sense now, how I have been feeling.  Hopefully the pills will work :)

Most Active
Recent Topics