One week from today my pre surgical assessment! 2013 will be a life changing year!

Armyguy1976
on 12/31/12 4:33 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13

Happy to report this time next week i will have yet another hoop jumped thru and on my way to this life changing tool!

It's been a rollercoaster of a year for me, the WLS journey has been stressful to say the least and at times seemed hopeless trying to progress with the military supporting my choice to go forward.  The military while now completely supportive are still prepared when it comes to WLS and I am seem to be breaking new ground hopefully streamlining the process for future military members who seek out this lifestyle change. 

I'm still in limbo as to what type of surgery is available to me. The military is ill equipped and ill informed(In there defense morbidly obese in the CF is still rare) and have been referring me to the Kingston regional assessment Centre but sadly  there also unable to inform me on the process from this point on as OHIP will not be paying for my surgery.. As you all know OHIP is dead set on RNY but seeing as I'm being privately funded thru federal Blue Cross they  can't tell me what surgery is best for me. 

In a perfect world i would choose DS over RNY , as i think it's long term maintenance  track record  and it's a easier day to day lifestyle change for a military member, my job dictates i won;t be able to control and prepare my own meals at times and the idea of separating water from food intake makes it a tough go in the future.  I have excellent access to medial service for future blood work and viatiams

Sadly I'm unable to proceed with self pay option(my first choice) as the military won't allow me to leave the country, i'm terrified of the idea of settling for a procedure I don't think is the bet fit for myself, that being said i'm at a point in my life where  not doing anything is'nt a option, my work life and more importantly home life are just to negatively impacted by my weight. I promised my wife i would put my health first this year and it's never been more important as were hoping to start our family once I'm healthier! 

Any advice on how to proceed with the nurse pract appointment would be great, I've devoted myself to research and lifestyle changes already (4 months now Alcohol ,caffeine and soda free, add to that I've replaced one meal a day with protein shake and ive been faithfully taking multi vits for over a year now. 

As always thank you for listing or in this case reading and this forum and it's community continues to be a tremendous source of informant , inspiration and strength. 

Cheers and Happy New Year 

Kb

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

Amanda F.
on 12/31/12 6:51 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

Congratulations, on a fantastic new year! I am also looking forward to 2013 :)

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

sam1am
on 1/1/13 12:31 am

Have you considered the VSG?  Its a bit easier to eat normally than an RNY and might suit your lifestyle as well as be easier to obtain than a DS.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics