Question re calling

Chelsea1
on 1/8/13 6:54 am - Canada

I had my ordination yesterday (about 10-12 people there) at St. Joes in Hamilton and I found a lot of the information they gave regarding the wait times (I am so tired of those two words) vague. The nurse said anywhere from 3 months - 12 months from the date you saw your surgeon to get a surgery date. Pretty broad but who am I to say.

Now here are my questions:

1) Should I call every so often to try to book apts, instead of and including waiting for the letter in the mail? (OMG what if it gets lost in the mail! lol) or am I just being pesky?

2) Is it okay to call and confirm my apts or is that being pesky too? I am just trying to be proactive because being reactive has been a disadvantage in the past.

It is so pre-op of me to be so impatient so thank you for understanding. As well, GOOD LUCK to all those who had surgery or is having surgery this week and next...lots it seems.

Arlio1207
on 1/8/13 7:05 am - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

WELL I called my site twice from referral time to letter for the orientation. Then only once after I got through my info session. It never hurts to call, sometimes they book you cuz they have u there on the phone. I never called to confirm appts as they give me a big sheet with the appt on it when I leave. And the appts are very close together. But it never hurts to call. The folks on the site will tell you, following up is a good thing and as long as you are not compulsive about it...........giver. 

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

jewel-twin
on 1/8/13 7:34 am - Canada
I am through twh. I called for all but two of my appt and it worked great for me... So call away cant hurt.

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

Maureen_R
on 1/8/13 8:34 am - Canada

I am going through the process at St Joes too and just today I got a call with my surgery date, February 15th, which will be 1 week short of 4 months after my surgeon's appt. 

I would recommend joining the Facebook group that we have just for St Joe's WLS people--just search for "Dr. Scott Gmora/ Dr. Mehran Anvari/ Dr Dennis Hong" in FB and there is a page where you request to join. It is a very supportive group and we organize things like coffee meetings and clothing exchanges. We also post about important dates/appointments so it is fairly easy for you to get a sense of whether you need to call or not.

My take on calling is that it does not speed up the process and if you do it too often, it can be counter productive. Remember, they have to book 5 or more appointments for 100s of patients a year. That being said, people do have the occasional story of files being misplaced so it's good to keep an eye on people who have a similar timeline to yours and I would call, just to check, if they were getting appointments and I wasn't

Surgery February 15, 2013 with Dr Gmora at St.Joe's in Hamilton (includes 98 lbs lost before surgery)

Chelsea1
on 1/8/13 10:07 am - Canada
Thank you all very much, this is exactly what I was thinking. Ill join Facebook as well

Most Active
Recent Topics