Hemithyroidectomy

kelkie11
on 1/29/13 7:35 am - Canada
Hi,

I just found out that I have nodules on my right thyroid(not cancer) and I have to have it removed because of the chance of it causing me breathing problems and swallowing problems etc. The one on the right side is big and they said I have it on the left too but much smaller and no need to take out whole thyroid. I am super super scared to have this done. I am worried about gaining weight as people keep telling me that is going to happen once they remove it. I don't know what to do and when I had my appt with the surgeon he sort of brushed me off before I could ask all the questions I want answered. Has anybody had this? How are you coping? and are you gaining weight?

Thanks
Kelly

HW 276 SW 265  CW 164.8
June 1, 2010 referral sent to St Joe's Hamilton
August 9th, 2010 Orientation
October 27th, 2010 - Meeting with Nurse,Dietician, Social Worker, ECG (no sleep study required)
November 3rd, 2010- Ultrasound
November 18, 2010- Meeting with the Internist
December 14th- Meet the surgeon
December 23rd- Education Class
January 14th- Scope - was supposed to be Dec 17th but got changed.   : (
SURGERY DATE- FEBRUARY 26 2011

2mar
on 1/29/13 8:07 am
RNY on 09/20/12

Hi Kelly

I would check with your clinic and see what they have to say ? and or if they have any strategies.

trudylam
on 1/29/13 8:13 am - Sudbury, Canada
I have had my entire thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer and as long as my med levels are monitored I see no affect on my weight. It's really a routine thing nowadays. Hang in there, take your tyrosine and you'll be fine. :)
trudylam
on 1/29/13 8:14 am - Sudbury, Canada
That should say thyroxine. Damn auto correct! Lol.
WendySt
on 1/29/13 9:13 am, edited 1/29/13 9:58 pm - Paris, Canada
I had a rt hemithyroidectomy done years ago. I have been fine since and not on any meds. Just have regular blood work done.

I was heavy before I had it done so didn't notice any difference. What I did notice was before it was done I would be talking and after a few words my voice would become raspy. After the surgery all that went away. Apparently the tumor was wrapped around my vocal chords. When the surgeon came in the next morning he breathed a sigh when I spoke. He apparently had been worried there had been some damage done but I was fine and I am to this day.

HW 313, 61 lbs lost preop, SW 252, CW 170  143 lbs lost!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew
! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/13 9:53 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 05/25/12

I went through it 2 times and now have no thyroid either...I really didn't gain weight but had a hard time getting a few pounds off. I also had the one side removed with thoughts that the second half would be fine but in the end I needed it removed as well but I had cancer in both sides. I take synthroid daily and have my levels monitored more often now after surgery. Try not to stress much it works out with the meds!

kelkie11
on 1/29/13 10:32 pm - Canada
Thanks for all your reply's everybody. The surgeon told me that I do not need to go on meds? He said that my left thyroid will compensate for the right. I do not have actual thyrid problems it tis just that the nodule might cause me breathing and swallowing issues if I don't get it out. I am sooooo nervous about gaining weight. I did not go through this whole process to regain my weight. I do exercise regulary and eat right the majority of the time so I am hopeful.

HW 276 SW 265  CW 164.8
June 1, 2010 referral sent to St Joe's Hamilton
August 9th, 2010 Orientation
October 27th, 2010 - Meeting with Nurse,Dietician, Social Worker, ECG (no sleep study required)
November 3rd, 2010- Ultrasound
November 18, 2010- Meeting with the Internist
December 14th- Meet the surgeon
December 23rd- Education Class
January 14th- Scope - was supposed to be Dec 17th but got changed.   : (
SURGERY DATE- FEBRUARY 26 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics