How my materna interfired with the coloring of my hairs!

BrigitteD
on 1/29/13 8:17 am - Sumerstown, Canada

Whent to the salon today and got some nice dark purple heightlites done.  To my suprise when they were done all my roots were pick and the rest purpuple. The hair dresser told me that the only thing that would do that to my hairs would be metal deposite.  And it click!  18 mg of iron in my multi vit!  So if your thinking of colors mantion it to your hairs dresser.  It doesen't do it to every one but some people yes lol  They simplie did the process twice and now my hairs is nice and vibrent lol 

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/29/13 8:31 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Darn... that is frustrating! Glad they could process it twice for you!

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Heathergetbetter
on 1/29/13 8:44 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

Good to know. Of course, I'm more of a DYI kind of girl. lol

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
tbtilalaf
on 1/29/13 11:09 pm

Does your multi have calcium in it? I am pretty sure it does, did you know calcium blocks the absorption of iron? This is why we can't take calcium and Iron to close together (have to be a least a couple of hours apart) So you should not be absorbing the iron in the multi anyway.  Maybe the iron is affecting your hair in some other way..Not sure, But I don't even pay attention to the iron in the multi vitamin, calcium will win every time....

This is a little bit of the chart of Bariatric vitamins info from the calcium and iron part I have:

(this is the link:  http://www.pamtremble.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Vitamin_and_Nutrition_Guidelines.pdf

Don't know why it won't make a link, so just copy and paste...You should ready this it is very informative...) 

And this is a small part of it:

ASMBS Bariatric Nutrition Guidelines

Iron and Calcium are Enemies

--- iron and calcium fight for the same cell receptors in the body

and calcium is “bigger and badder” and always wins. Which means the iron is simply excreted in

feces and not used at all. Keep iron and calcium at least 2 hours apart from each other.

And just a FYI:

Calcium and Vitamin D are Friends

--- take them together, they help each other absorb better.

Your body can only deal with 500mg at a time, so split up your doses into 3 or 4 doses per day to

reach your 1500-2000mg daily goal. Calcium tends to absorb better when taken with a meal, so

schedule it that way if you can.

Iron and Vitamin C are Friends

--- Iron needs an acid environment to break down and Vitamin C

does that job so make sure they are in your tummy at the same time. Iron does not like food, so

take it on an empty stomach. However, if you get an upset tummy because of the iron, pick a

non-dairy snack.

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

BrigitteD
on 1/30/13 2:59 am - Sumerstown, Canada

I do take my vitamin as recomanded and yes I do know that the calcium does take away the value of the Iron  Just saying  that metalic effected (Iron) affected the color in my hairs!  Not a chemist or anything!  Just saying what the hair dresser told me that metalic residue can affect hairs coloring and when I told her I was on materna she said that was probably it cause she get s the same result with pregnant lady's somitime:)

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

tbtilalaf
on 1/30/13 4:10 am
Ok, I thought it could be something else in the iron that the calcium is not blocking, I dye my hair too, but never noticed this...but maybe when my hair doesn't turn out as planned that could be why...(i take two separate iron pills for a long time now, as I have always had a problem with iron). Hopefullly it won't happen every time! Lol

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

Most Active
Recent Topics