5 days post op - a few observations

Cindyoe
on 2/2/13 8:09 am
RNY on 01/28/13
Couldn't be happier with HRRH nurses and physicians - dr Hagen is amazing and has such a warm bedside manner! Day 1, 2 were rough - gas didn't start to pass until I was almost discharged so I was very very sore!!!!

A few tips for anyone who might be interested!

- shave your legs! I had to hang out in a full waiting room all gowned up and had no hospital pants (no bariatrics available). Not that anyone was looking but I was very conscious.....

- earplugs - a medical necessity. Especially if your crazy roommate insists on tv blaring 24hrs a day and doesn't feel it's important to ring for the nurse immediately after vomiting (gah!!)

- drugs - they have them, ask for them, they are wonderful! Hospitals are so noisy and busy I found they helped a lot so my sleep (the little that I got) was much more restful

- read and reread- HRRH gave several booklets about post op care and eating. I've found them invaluable and have read them many times. I was a little overwhelmed going in and although had prepared I was so afraid I'd be discharged and thrown to the wolves. Not so!

Those are my top 4 at the moment - all in all I've been feeling better every day and have been working towards my protein and water intake. I have lost 9lbs since surgery, 29lbs since opti and I actually "feel"lighter - at the very least I feel amazing!

Kingston RATC Referral March 4, 2012 - Sleep study August 20th, 2012 - RNY January 28 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH 

Starting Weight:  354           Surgery Weight:  334        

gimpymom
on 2/2/13 8:26 am

so good of you to post--I laughed at the ear plugs- I was in a ward room at HRRH and one of the ladies had visitors who were so loud and there were so many.... I wish I had a pair with me-LOL- congrats on your 9 lbs loss- I actually was up 9 lbs in Hospital because of all the IV fluids and my little complication and 2nd surgery--however that being said all is just peachy now and well on my way to goal--good luck to you over the next few weeks- and I know that when you get to eat solids you will just LOVE it!!!

Take care and sending you healing vibes

Johanna

referral  Nov 23, 2011 orientation Dec 16   PATT Aug 9 OR DATE Aug. 20, 2012 ACHIEVED CLINIC GOAL Feb. 2013

JJ_
on 2/2/13 8:32 am

LOL, I not only shaved, I also had a manicure and pedicure with only clear nail polish.  I totally agree with the ear plugs.!

Judy

squidget
on 2/2/13 8:37 am

Thank you so much for the post.  My surgery is Feb 21 at St. Mikes in Toronto.  I never thought of the earplugs - great suggestion!  I hope to have a private room, but you never know if there will be any available.

I am curious to know how long you were in the hospital.  I am also curious that the only discomfort you mention was gas.  I am hoping that means that the surgery itself is not too painful.  Or maybe that is just wishful thinking.  LOL

All the best to you as you continue to heal. xo

Cindyoe
on 2/2/13 8:46 am
RNY on 01/28/13
I'd also requested a private but no luck....best of luck on your feb surgery, so exciting!!!! I had my surgery Monday at 1pm and was in the recovery room awake by 3pm, discharged by 9am on Wednesday.

I won't lie, there's pain - they do a lot of work in there! But the morphine is fast acting and they will provide it immediately if you ask. Don't wait for them to ask you! The nurses are very accommodating and expect you to ask.

It's not curling up and wanting to die pain, it's more of an uncomfortable "geez this sucks" type of pain - you feel crappy, you're tired, you're uncomfortable and you just had major surgery.

....hope that makes sense?

Kingston RATC Referral March 4, 2012 - Sleep study August 20th, 2012 - RNY January 28 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH 

squidget
on 2/2/13 10:48 am

It makes perfect sense!  I dont feel too nervous, more excited I think. 

My surgery is on a Thursday (Feb 21), so I wonder if I will have to wait until Monday to be discarged or if they will release me on the weekend.  I hate staying in the hospital mostly because I dont sleep well.  And sleep is a big part of healing.

I would love to follow up with you, but I wasnt able to add you as a friend.  So maybe you could add me...

All the best to you - I hope you feel better and stronger every day! xo

Cindyoe
on 2/2/13 11:13 am
RNY on 01/28/13

My guess is they won't keep you longer than needed...I added you as a friend :)

imntatxi
on 2/3/13 1:00 am - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

usually 2 nights....if all is well. that seems to be the norm in all ive been reading.....i actually felt good enough to go home first night but there are a few heparin injections...at least for me--to prevent blood clots!! Guelph hospitals hospitality made you feel like you were in a luxury hotel....i was in semi-private room....private rooms are usually reserved for those with extra insurance..otherwise semi or ward room is only option.

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/13 2:21 am - Canada

Hi Squidget,

I am having my surgery on March 25th at St. Mikes too! Let me know how it goes. This is my first surgery ever and I am my worst critic! Its reassuring to hear other peoples experiences at the same hospital.  I hope all goes well with you!

willowraine
on 2/2/13 8:52 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13
Thanks for posting! Good to know there is lots of info and booklets and they don't just throw us out to the wolves! That was my big concern and in fact I asked about it here last week!

I remember the waiting area from my first almost surgery. I felt so uncomfortable sitting there in a room full of strangers in a gown with absolutely nothing on underneath. Even though I had a gown on and a second one on like a robe I was so paranoid that my butt was hanging out!

I'll also have to go out and get some earplugs.

Referral Aug/11, transferred to HRRH May/12, Orientation July 4/12, Surgeon July 17/12,     RD, SW  Aug 3/12, RN Aug 22/12, Dr. Glazer/Sleep Study Sept/12, Surgeon Nov 2/12, 1st surgery date (cancelled due to to sickness) Dec 13/12, Re-scheduled for Feb 6/13

Most Active
Recent Topics