Non-scale pain in the neck (maybe TMI?)

Onward and
Downward

on 2/9/13 5:46 pm, edited 2/9/13 5:50 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Well, I can't exactly call this a "non-scale-victory" because it's annoying, but here it is:

Before surgery, my period timing was all messed up.  I'd get a period, then I wouldn't get another one for anywhere from 6 weeks to sometimes 4 months.  Up until about a year and a half ago, even when that happened, my periods wouldn't be very heavy when they did happen - they'd just be about 3-5 days, the first couple of days of which would be really heavy, then taper off.

Then about a year and a half ago, I went to a gynecologist about my irregular periods, because they were stretching to 3 or 4 months at a time without a period quite regularly, and also because I wanted the referral for WLS (which I got from her).  And between that time and surgery, I started getting very strange things happening - I would have no period for about 4 months, then I'd get a period that would last for about 6-8 weeks, most of which would be very heavy, taper off a bit, spot a bit, then heavy again - weeks on end.  That was freaky, and happened a couple of times in that year before surgery (because the whole cycle, of not getting my period for 4 months, then getting a flood for 2 months, happened twice in a row - that = a year).

Since surgery?  I had one that started on the day of surgery (artificially, from meds I took to open my cervix for a uterine biopsy that ended up not being done the say day of surgery) .  It lasted less than a week.  I don't remember whether I got one in December.  But I got one at the beginning of the second week of January, for about 3-4 days.  Just starting another one today, about a month later. 

I know it's a good thing to get regular periods again, and it's nice that they're back to being short (I hope - we'll see this time!), but darn, I kind of liked not getting them very often, back before a year and a half ago, when I'd get them very irregularly and they'd still only last for a few days!  And I'm grumpy about it because here I am, just having woken up in the middle of the night to some mild cramps and a period started (the cramps will get worse - thank goodness Midol works for me and is Tylenol-based).

Oh well.  Darn this whole getting healthy again thing, anyhow. :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

dna
on 2/9/13 6:40 pm - Canada

I am the same.  Since about 2 months after surgery my periods are like clockwork.  Complete with PMS (bad .. poor everyone around me) and cramping etc.  I also liked never getting it (I would take provera to 'get it' again if I bled so long and badly.  I have found that getting my iron levels up seems to of helped it as well.   Such a pain in the neck !! lol

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

Nanato2
on 2/9/13 9:13 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

They say after your surgery because your hormones are out of wack your period could change they even say some women who are in menopuase may get them again or some they may just go away. 

I would rather have regular period then one that I didn't know when I was getting.

The joys of being a women. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Onward and
Downward

on 2/9/13 9:23 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Yeah, I think overall I'd rather get it regularly and know it wasn't going to last for 6-8 weeks when it arrives!

Another big TMI NSV - guys, be warned!  Click away now!  ;)

I can use my Diva Cup again!  I gave up on it because I couldn't reach to insert it when I got above 300 lbs.  I just tried it this morning again after a long boil to sterilize it (after having almost forgot about it - and don't worry, I have an old kettle that keep in the bathroom and that I use specifically for this purpose and nothing else, no need to be afraid to eat in my kitchen), and it's so nice to be able to use it again!  No more mess...

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

mermaidz
on 2/9/13 11:40 pm - Brampton, Canada

YAY for no uterus!!.... I'm sooo glad I'm done that "part" lol

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

kellybelly333
on 2/10/13 12:21 am - Toronto, Canada
Mine were horrible before surgery (I went for five months straight with daily bleeding the summer/fall before surgery). Then they were great for a year and ten the hormones caught up and I'm back to my normal horribleness that wrecks my iron levels (on top of the rny). Boooo

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Julia P.
on 2/10/13 1:23 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12
Yay to being able to use your Diva cup! I used to use mine all the time, but it just stopped working for me after baby number 2 (and I did get the bigger size). I can see how it would be a mixed blessing to get your period regularly again after having such long breaks!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

JJ_
on 2/10/13 10:02 am

Hmmm, I am surprised Ian is not posting on this thread!  LOL

I am waiting for perimenopause and menopause. I started at age 11 and I am in my 50`s. I track my periods so I know when they occur and the duration, plus anything noteworthy.

It looks like you are getting more regular.  YAY for hormones!

Judy

Onward and
Downward

on 2/10/13 12:25 pm, edited 2/10/13 12:25 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Thanks everyone - yes, it probably is a good thing to be more regular now, although I sure liked the breaks in between the periods before!  Julia, that's too bad about the Diva Cup.  I find it so handy!  It's been a good couple of years since I used it last, though.

Mermaidz, yes, sometimes I wish I could just get the whole kit and caboodle taken out!  Not like I need them anymore!

Kelly: Ack, that's too bad that the changes didn't last!  I hope they do for me.  Or, better yet, I hope I go through early menopause. :)

JJ, I'm supposed to be tracking my periods, but I just never get around to it.  At least I know when my January period started - I had to go home sick the first day of it.  That's when I discovered that Midol would work - yippee!

dna, I've always been afraid of depo provera.  I've heard that people gain weight on it, and like I need one more thing to help me gain weight, lol.  That said, my gynecologist did give me a pill to induce my period that I'm supposed to take if I'm ever more than 3 months late.  The last time, though, I didn't notice that I was 3 months late until maybe 4 months or so, and by then it was too late, because along came the 8 week period after that!

kerlanny
on 2/10/13 11:29 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

I am so glad I had a hysterectomy in my late 20s...  It was horrible and I was plauged with many lasting well over a month...  I remember having it over a month long when I was about 11 or 12...  The summer from hell... 

I had tried so many forms of birth control pills to get things straightened out...  After my third daughter I got about three opinions to remove it all...  I wanted more than a second because I was so young. 

Not saying do the extreme like I had to but for sure visit a GYN!

Good luck!

On my journey to rescue the healthy and confident me that is hidden within!

Most Active
Recent Topics