an interesting series of photos.

Monica M.
on 2/13/13 8:46 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/02/11/woman-photographs-hersel f-receiving-strange-looks-in-public/

i posted this on facebook, but thought i'd share it here too.

dna
on 2/13/13 9:15 pm - Canada

So are people looking at her because she is IN THE WAY ?? lol

I am guilty of looking at people.  I love to sit in the mall and jus****ch.  Creepy ?  Probably  

I will however be checking my facial expressions when I do from now on bahhaa

Thanks for sharing that !

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

Monica M.
on 2/13/13 9:44 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

I'm a big starer. My kids are constantly hissing at me 'MOM!! stop staring!!!"

once a lady in a restaurant told me to stop staring at her. I dont think i was, that time, tho...

Karidian
on 2/13/13 11:23 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13
I love people watching too. Wait, so I'm now creepy too? I thought I was a paragon of social studies! Ughhh.

Surgery date:  January 16 2013 -  Beware, I LIVED.

"Not all those who wander are lost..."

dna
on 2/14/13 1:31 am - Canada

I guess I shouldn't of said creepy lol.  Kinda the wrong word.  I wi**** were more socially acceptable to stare openly though.  People fascinate me.

Sorry broken heart

Karidian
on 2/14/13 2:05 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13

I was only joking .

People watching is fascinating.   I remember sitting at a industry booth during a conference, that no one visited.  I had a prime view of an walking intersection in the convention Centre.   After the end of the weekend I had enough stories to fill a book!

Surgery date:  January 16 2013 -  Beware, I LIVED.

"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Marny B.
on 2/13/13 11:13 pm - Canada

I don't know.  I think people, (especially those who are self conscious), too often look only for things to validate their feelings, rather than to disprove them.  Maybe some of the photos are what she proposes, but I don't think the vast majority are photos of people laughing at her for her looks.

When I was obese, if I walked past a group of people laughing, I would automatically assume they were making fun of me, because I was so intensely wrapped up in myself and my insecurities, I couldn't look outside my box to consider that maybe they were laughing about something else entirely.  I think that's what this is. 

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Marny B.
on 2/13/13 11:46 pm - Canada

I'm replying to my own reply!  Haha!

....PLUS.  I might give a weird stare if someone set up a tripod aimed at themselves, in the middle of a heavy flow of pedestrian traffic, and then proceeded to stare off into space, or do some other meaningless task, or swinging on a swing with a terribly forlorn expression on her face.  Maybe they are stares of "WTF is she doing?" rather than, "Look at her, she looks awful". 

...Just playing devil's advocate :)

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

jellyfishattack
on 2/13/13 11:19 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

This sort of thing is exactly what I don't want to know!

The photos are pretty compelling (and good - I'm an amateur photographer, and I do say amateur).  I have to cut the man looking at you sitting on the swings some slack.  Maybe he was just looking because you were on the swings, but most of the other people are definitely staring with utterly unpleasant expressions.

Like someone else said in this thread, I do sometimes stare accidentally.  I was at a restaurant last weekend and I was actually watching the Leafs game (a little), but the table of people who were signing thought I was staring at them, I think.  I had to turn around because the TV in front of me was showing a junior curling game, which is okay, but not as exciting as hockey, and the Leafs kept scoring and fighting..  I hope the people didn't feel bad.  But enough about that.

Thanks for sharing your compelling photos.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Joyce J.
on 2/14/13 2:59 am - Scarborough, Canada

Hi Monica

That is interesting.......

I am a people watcher as well. I go to Tim's every Wed for coffee with a friend and we like to make fun of and make stories up about the people and why they are there LOL

Yep I'm creepy too LOL

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Most Active
Recent Topics