Pain Pain Go Away

Northernlights
on 3/5/13 6:02 am
Hi everyone, I just had RNY at Toronto Western on Monday and can't believe how much pain I'm in. I've walked and walked but it's not helping. My left hand and forearm is very swollen from the IV. To top everything off my room is freezing cold. Anyone else have this type of pain, and what did you do to relieve it?
GirlSassy
on 3/5/13 6:17 am - Kingston, Canada

I am so sorry to hear you are in pain!

I too was very cold after surgery, had to wear a tonne of clothing - it was my thyroid. Meds were adjusted and all is well.

It's Tuesday you should still be in the hospital, so ask for more meds, and for them to give you warmed blankets. They can do both.

Oh, and pass some gas, lean on your left and start tooting. That can be the cause of a lot of pain and discomfort.

Hope this helps...press the call button and get some relief!

Orientation - April 25, 2012, Nurse - May 16, 2012, Social Worker - May 25, Dietician - May 25, 2012, Abdominal Ultrasound - June 29, 2012, Cardiologist - August 1, 2012 Pre-Surgical Education Class September 19, 2012, Meet with Surgeon September 27, 2012, PATTS November 9, 2012, Surgery Date November 16, 2012 (Dr. Mamazza)

dna
on 3/5/13 6:48 am - Canada

Sorry you are hurting.  Get some drugs !  Stat ! Also warm blankets.  Don't let them make you go home if you are still in pain. better to get it checked out while you are still there :)

Heal better. 

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

2mar
on 3/5/13 6:52 am
RNY on 09/20/12

so sorry you are having such a tough time -  ask for pain killers and more blankets.

Also have them check to make sure the IV is still properly in place. (that could give swelling) - unless you have swelling "all over" than it is from the IV itself - and that will resolve over the next few days once the IV is out 

Hang in - best of luck

sending great vibes your way

Zmimshen
on 3/5/13 8:01 am - Canada
RNY on 01/15/13
Sorry to hear about the pain... As for being cold, most wards have heated blankets that you can help yourself to... Maybe it can help... Being too cold probably doesn't help with the gas too

Orientation: Apr. 3, 2012; SW&NP: May 29, 2012; Nutrition class: June 19, 2012; Nutritionist: Aug. 29, 2012; Surgeon: Nov. 9, 2012; Surgery date:January 15, 2013; Highest weight: 357     Start of Opti weight: 338.6     Surgery Weight: 322.4   

Northernlights
on 3/5/13 8:38 am
Thank you all for your advice. Pain medication is working now so I'm feeling much better. They also fixed the heat problem. I'm definitely going to ask for a warm blanket at bed tonight!
JennR
on 3/5/13 8:45 am
Your hand and arm should not be swollen at all! Did they change the site or take it out??

Northernlights
on 3/5/13 1:46 pm
Yes they did take the IV out and the swelling has gone down some from yesterday. Still having heat issues and my room is freezing. They do not have a blanket warmer. At this point I can't wait to be at home in my own bed. Starting to worry a bit as pain is not getting any better as the days progress and can not pass any gass.
MichjMac
on 3/5/13 9:50 pm - Chalk River , Canada
As soon as you start passing gas the pain will start to go away.The pain that you should be feeling on your left side will stay for about 2 weeks beacuse that is muscle pain. Hope your feeling better soon!
Most Active
Recent Topics