Enlightening CBC item - Food industry engineers cravings

Gabygee
on 3/18/13 6:03 am - Canada

I think most of us knew this already, but now there's science to back up our clams that our food addictions were not "just in our heads"

Those rat-*******s actually plot to make us salivate at the sight of the packaging! On purpose! To make money!

While we get sicker and fatter ...

Food Cravings Engineered by Food Industry
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/03/05/f-vp-crowe-food-addiction.html

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/18/13 6:36 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I actually started to become very sensitive to the chemical undertones when I removed a number of products from my day to day life...

I will admit I am big on tastes and textures but have learned to lean toward things with 10 ingredients or less (preferably 5 or less) so it was easier to track for my allergy and in those changes I really started to notice things.

It is interesting to me that they mention the metallic taste of the cereal without the added salt because that is the taste that comes through to me. Things like cheez-its, etc. I can't have at all and the time or two I've tried it I couldn't get past the chemical taste left in my mouth.

Even when it comes to something simple like table salt... Iodine added means corn starch to bind it to the salt... Allergy pitfall with the corn, and it just... "Tastes wrong" to me now because I am unused to the taste of it.

Look at Tim Hortons. Their "Coffee" is a carefully crafted "coffee beverage". Designed to hit certain notes for taste, and increase your cravings so that when you see the signage you WANT one.

The person I worry most about is my daughter. She seems to really enjoy the flavour enhanced foods and while I am careful about what she has... It is still a hard thing to control 100%. There are no real regulations in place to prevent this issue.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Megan M.
on 3/18/13 9:29 am - Canada
I've just started reading the book "salt sugar fat." It's on the current best seller list and talks about how the food moguls have hooked us. So far very interesting. Suggest you give it a read,

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

mermaidz
on 3/19/13 4:17 am - Brampton, Canada

umm.. Yeah.. not only is it in food but every single product that requires marketting.

Ever notice how a woman's boobs always look so perfect in the bra you're going to try on? She's airbrushed I swear! NO ONE has perfect boobies and I HATE trying on bra's.

Or blue jeans.....how many real women do you know have an ass that perfectly round that they fill out a pair of blue jeans so well?

Advertising.. Scheming..

But as for our being fat, while some of it is in our head, and in the scheming advertising schmucks, we also have  to accept some of the responsibility for it.  We have to be accountable for how we got this way. No one forced me to eat that chocolate cake, maple cookies..

I did that all on my own..

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active
Recent Topics