lab work

Gizzys
on 3/22/13 4:56 am - Canada

Hello,

Does anyone have a listing of lab work numbers/ranges that are considered normal for us who have had RNY surgery?  I know each is individual and normal can range among us but I wonder if there is a guideline for us that we can follow.  My GP is great but maybe not super knowledgeable regarding what numbers are considered normal for WLS people.  I have seen lists from some of the American folks and their numbers and lists look completely different than ours.  I would assume in Canada the listing would be the same among us.

Thanks!

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/22/13 6:25 am, edited 3/22/13 6:25 am - Windsor, Canada

When you get your lab work done, it will usually include reference ranges.  Ours are the same as the normal population. We are no different.   Ask for a copy to be sent to your doctor and ask your doctor to print you a copy. then put in a binder. It will have the typical range for each vitamin and mineral.  It's so easy anyone can pretty much figure it out without their doctor helping.  Then highlight things that are in normal range one colour, lows another colour, highs another colour.  Check every 3 months and watch for trends as numbers go up and down.

Then depending on what you need, there are guidelines with how much of a supplement to use http://www.pamtremble.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Vitamin_and_Nutrition_Guidelines.pdf.  Remember these guidelines are the "best guess" of what we need.  Your body is different.  I haven't needed b12 in YEARS so you don't need to supplement all the things listed in the guidelines - just what your body needs.  At 1-2 years out, also inquire about a bone mass density test. Calcium deficiencies are rarely detected in bloodwork.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

JJ_
on 3/22/13 2:26 pm

When I have my appointment at the hospital to review the blood work, I always ask for a printed copy of my results.  As was previously mentioned, the normal ranges are listed in one of the columns on the blood work results.  I created a spreadsheet of the results by date and included the range of normal results.  I then also looked up each test online and created another listing of what each blood work is for and what abnormal results may mean.

Judy

Gizzys
on 3/25/13 1:20 am - Canada

Thank you for your advice.  I only have the first two copies of my labwork and need to get the other two to compare.  I know there is a column that shows a range for me and from what I can see on the first two copies, all my numbers fall within the range.  The labwork has been sent to my surgeon as well and there has never been any mention of needing to change my supplement plan as I seem to be in the normal range for everything.  I think I will pick up my last two labwork and then, as you have mentioned, put them in a binder to keep better track.  I am now over a year postop so only get labs taken yearly now unless I feel there is a problem.  Maybe once I get my most recent lab copy, I will post the info for you to get some more input.

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown