New Here

Jen1984
on 3/31/13 4:20 am - trenton, ontario, Canada

Hello guys I am new here.  I just met with my surgeon in Toronto on March 28th.  My surgery date is May 7th but on April 25th he is sending me for Pre Assessment testing with Dr. Glazer can anyone tell me what this is? Also sending me for more blood work that day as well.  I am terrified for my surgery how bad is the pain afterwards?

nicolepage5
on 3/31/13 8:42 am - Stoney Creek, Canada
RNY on 02/11/13

Hi There! And Welcome :)

The pre-assessment testing is just your pre op stuff like ECG (if you haven't had one already with Dr. Glazer), blood work, x-ray, etc..expect to spend about 4-5 hours there (mostly waiting time).

I had my surgery at Humber on Feb 11th, and I had a wonderful experience. Hardly had any pain. Just a little pressure from the gas that they pump you up with so they can operate. It wasn't painful, just uncomfortable :)

As far as pain when you leave the hospital, i didn't find it all that bad because they gave me some good drugs to take home with me ;) And I slowly weaned off them after about 4 or 5 days of being at home. The incisions weren't painful at all either :)

Just be careful going up the stairs and don't rush yourself. And don't lift anything over 10 lbs for the first few months. And you will be just fine :)

All the best on your surgery!

Niki

Initial Referral: Feb. 17/12 - Orientation (St. Joe's): Oct 1/12 - Orientation (HRRH): Nov 26/12 - Meet Surgeon (Dr. Hagan): Nov 28/12 - Dietitian (Michelle): Nov 28/12 - SW (Jackie): Nov 28/12 - NP: Dec 20/12 - Bloodwork: Dec 20/12 - Medical Internist (Dr. Glazer): Jan 10/13 - Surgeon (Dr. Hagan): Jan 17/13 - Optifast: Jan 28/13 - Surgery: Feb11/13!!!

Heathergetbetter
on 3/31/13 11:37 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

Hi again Jen.

As far as pain, It was uncomfortable the first night, but I had a pain pump and with a push of a button the pain would go away. The next afternoon I was on Tylenol #3's. I went home on just extra strength tylenol. I had a truly uneventful surgery and was walking as soon as I could. Passing gas was difficult because an older lady in my room was surrounded by her family late into the night and it was very hard for me to fart with a man sitting 4 feet from my butt on the other side of a curtain.

See you tomorrow

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
Marny B.
on 3/31/13 12:36 pm - Canada

Hi Jen.  Welcome to OH. I hope you find the information and support you need.  I can't comment on the pre-assessment as I had surgery at a different hospital, but in answer to your other question, for me, it was similar to recovery after a c-section.  Everyone has different pain tolerances.  Have you ever had surgery before?  I think you can judge a bit from your last surgical experience if you've had one, as to how well you recover from anesthetic, and how you deal with pain.  In my experience, it wasn't too bad.  If your username (19840 is an indication of your age, you are young and should heal quite quickly.  :) 

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

kellybelly333
on 3/31/13 11:46 pm - Toronto, Canada

Welcome. The pain wasn't too bad after, and tolerated with meds. I was shocked at how well I felt two days later.

I was also scared to have surgery. But I don't regret it one bit and am happy to be here two years later, healthier than I have been in my adult life and 104 pounds less. :-)

Good luck!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Mary A.
on 4/4/13 12:57 am

everyone's tolerance of pain or there threshold is different, if you do what the hospital and bariatric team tells you and you get up and start moving rather than laying in bed for hours and hours, you will make a quicker recovery.

I had a pain pump, had surgery on Wednesday...my pain pain was empty on Saturday and I didn't require anything after that...I did fill my pain prescription, but never needed it..I attributed that to...spending more time walking the hospital hallways than I spent in my bed..everytime the nurse or the doctor was looking for me, they knew I could be found in the hallway or the common room...move, move, move, sip, sip, sip~!!

Not sure if you had a number of visits prior to this or when your journey began..but wow...to see the surgeon on March 28 and have your surgery scheduled May the 7th..is incredible...

Only thing that I will warn you of..is keep a pillow handy for coughing...and don't try to get out of bed quickly...not to freak you out..but I was told this surgery, although done laproscopically...cuts through 7 layers of muscle, tissue fat etc....

also remember that when you get home...simple tasks like pulling the laundry out of the washing machine CANNOT be done by you~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics