What happens at Beh/Nut appt?

Melissa.M
on 4/18/13 3:11 am - Canada

Do I need to prepare in any way? I have the forms with the food journal, so I'm okay there. I guess I'm most concerned about the behaviourist appointment. What will happen there? What kinds of things will we discuss? Should I mentally prepare myself in any way so I'm not left scrambling for answers? Do you know how long the appointments are? Are they emotional? Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated.

I had my abdominal ultrasound today. My beh/nut appt is May 9th. The nurse said she thinks I'll just need to see them once and then it's the pre-op class and meet the surgeon time. The wait really hasn't been that bad. I seem to have started the process at a good time so things haven't dragged on and on for me. I'm not moving as quickly as some others at different centres but for Ottawa I think I'm cruising along.  Time has actually passed more quickly than I was expecting when I first sent my referral in. So those of you who are just starting in Ottawa, keep your chin up...things are improving here.

Referral:Nov 14, 2012~~Orientation:Dec 14~~Nurse:Mar 26~~Abd Ultrsound:Apr 18~~Beh/Nut:May 9, 2013~~Surgery:Dec 12, 2013.

Mom_of_Mack
on 4/18/13 3:49 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Melissa,

I met with the behaviourist Matt in Ottawa and he was really nice.  He goes through a bunch of questions with you and he gives you things to work on.  My tasks were not eating in front of the tv and scheduling exercise into my busy day.  I was more worried about the nutritionist than the behaviourist appointment but both were easy.  The appointments are 1 hour each and are normally booked back to back.  Good luck with you appointments :)

Cheers, K

Referral: August 1/12  Orientation: Sept. 7/12  Nurse Practitioner: December 28/12  Nut/Beh: January 22/13  Abdo Ultrasound: Jan 2013  Nut/Beh#2: March 12/13  Pre-Op Class: March 20/13  Dr. Mamazza:  March 26/13   Surgery: June 13/13 with Dr. Raiche

jen1016
on 4/19/13 10:21 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

K - I know you are just ahead of us both here in Ottawa - have you heard when your surgery is yet?! 

Melissa.M
on 4/19/13 12:54 pm - Canada

Yeah, I bet you'll get a call soon if you haven't yet.

Referral:Nov 14, 2012~~Orientation:Dec 14~~Nurse:Mar 26~~Abd Ultrsound:Apr 18~~Beh/Nut:May 9, 2013~~Surgery:Dec 12, 2013.

Melissa.M
on 4/20/13 3:07 am - Canada

Thanks!  I think I'll write down my habits, along with the changes I've made so I don't forget anything. LOL  I guess I'm just worried that they'll say, "Nope, not a good candidate" or something like that. Or hear that annoying buzzer sound like on game shows..."Buzzzzzzz....wrong answer! Out of the program with you!" LOL

jen1016
on 4/19/13 10:24 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

My appt is with the Beh/Nut is May 13.  Did you book your ultrasound with your family doctor or did the WMC book it for you??  I had my RN appt before you did but haven't heard anything yet about my ultrasound or scope!!  

Melissa.M
on 4/20/13 2:55 am - Canada

Yep. My family doc ordered it for me on Monday and I had the ultrasound done on Thursday. I clarified with the clinic first, though, and they said it'd be great for me to go ahead and have it done on my own. They just said to make sure that the requisition form included that it was for bariatric surgery and if I was comfortable, to ask the technician if he/she was familiar with abdominal ultrasounds for bariatric patients. They also said that if there were any abnormalities, they would have to redo the ultrasound at the hospital prior to surgery but they also said that they would redo it anyway, even if the original ultrasound was performed at the hospital. So I figured, why not? It saves me waiting for the phonecall. This way, I was able to get it done, out of the way and fit into MY schedule.

Most Active
Recent Topics