Kale Chips...any tips on making them?

Marny B.
on 5/26/13 11:53 am - Canada
I tried some of these today and really liked them. However, they were garlic and vegan cheese flavoured, which I think added many unnecessary calories, and I am positive I can make a lower cal. version. I've read a bunch of recipes, but I'm just wondering if anybody has ever made them and if so, do you have any tips for me?

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/13 12:03 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I've made them.  Wash the kale, dry it very well.  I put it in my salad spinner then let it sit on a clean dish towel to make sure all the water is off them.  I remove the stem and make them chip size.  Toss them in a bit of olive oil (maybe 2 tbsp for the whole bunch).  I lay them out on my cookie sheets, usually need two of them for a whole bunch.  I either put a bit of sea salt on them or some other spices like chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.  Bake in 350F oven.  I check them every 5 minutes and flip them over when they start to dry out a bit so the other side can dry out too.  Takes up to 20 mins at most but usually closer to 15.  I have even sprinkled some popcorn seasoning on them and they are good too.

Warning, they are addictive and you can easily eat way too many of them.

2mar
on 5/26/13 11:06 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

thanks - will give it a try 

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Marny B.
on 5/26/13 12:11 pm - Canada
I knew you'd reply to this post Tracey.

Thanks for all the tips. The nut. stats are pretty good on kale, no? Maybe a bit high on carbs? Story of my life.

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/13 12:16 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

The stats are not bad at all but honestly it's easy to snack your way through the whole bunch.  They go down a little too easy once dried.  I'd never eat a whole bunch if I ate it cooked normally but this way, they trigger me wanting to snack on chips.

Marny B.
on 5/26/13 12:21 pm - Canada
Hmmmmm.....maybe I should just stay away. My hubby read "Wheat Belly" and has given up wheat entirely. He's on week three, and feeling a bit snacky, so I bought them for him, but he hated them. I think it was the flavour. I wanted to try making some more plain ones for him, and also, I really liked them.

Urbanlamb
on 5/26/13 8:54 pm - Canada

Powder them with Nutritional Yeast for that cheezy taste.

Yeah baby....smiley

Referral Oct 2012~Orientation May 31/13 at Ottawa Civic~Dr.Dent assessment July 16~Nutritionist and Behaviorist Sept 17~ Ultrasound Oct 17~Second appointment with Nutritionist and Behaviorist Nov 6~Approval for RNY!!~BLADDER CANCER DISCOVERED~Currently undergoing treatment for cancer, plans switched from RNY to sleeve...~GOT DATE FOR SURGERY...AUGUST 18th, 2014 with Dr. Yelle*....February 7/17...2.5 years post up and doing great. Starting process for OHIP funded panniculectomy...

Charlene Straus
on 5/27/13 12:15 am - Mississauga, Canada

I wash and dry them, place them on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper and spray them lightly with an olive oil spray. Bake them slowly in an 275 F oven and when crisp I toss them with a bit of sea salt or any other interesting seasoning mix Clubhouse has out. ...cajun...chili and lime...etc

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/27/13 5:24 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Bump

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Marny B.
on 5/27/13 5:26 am - Canada
Okay....I have seen people post "Bump" before, but I have absolutely NO idea what that means. I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious, so please enlighten me?!

Most Active
Recent Topics