WAIT LIST - HOW TO FIND OUT HOW LONG

newpossibilities
on 6/14/13 10:45 pm - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
My doctor had thought he referred me but once I followed up with the registry it turned out he wasn't even a member. They emailed me all of the details and i shared the email with my physician. Whatever he had done to refer me was the old process and he was not familiar with the new one so you may want to check with the registry and advise your doctor if he hasn't used the it.

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

pink7sadie
on 6/18/13 1:14 am

Thank you all so much for your responses.  I did email the registry.  They were VERY quick at getting back to me (3 business days).  Sadly, I am not registered.  I've been sitting on my hands (putting on pounds) for 9 months!  So I just faxed the email response from the registry to my Dr. and hopefully I will receive a quick response. 

As PP mentioned, their Dr. was not a registered referral physician.  The same is the case with my Dr.  So hopefully my Dr. won't drag her heels and get me registered!

I'm feeling really disappointed right now... 

Julia P.
on 6/18/13 2:33 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

I'm glad to hear they got back to you. I know it's disappointing for sure!  Keep on your family Doctor to get registered and to refer you - it doesn't take them long to do!  Even make an appointment and sit with them while they register you.

The good news is your centre will likely be HRRH, which seems to move the quickest of any of the centres.  Once you have confirmed that your  referral is in the registry, I'm sure some of the nice ladies on here will let you know who to contact at HRRH to help speed the process up on that end.

Good luck to you!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

pink7sadie
on 6/18/13 1:13 am
Pawsitive_One
on 6/18/13 7:50 am
RNY on 07/02/13

Hang in there Sadie! 

Now that you've figured out what has happened, things will start rolling quick!   I (along with a few others that I've seen in here) was/were in the same boat as you.  Keep strong and keep being your own advocate throughout this journey because YOU ARE important!   Keep calling them and confirm that they received your referral and after that, keep calling to CONFIRM all your appointments.  Before you know it, you'll have a surgery date!  

Suzy

PS. If you can afford it, I recommend buying a book called The Complete Weight-Loss Surgery Guide and Diet Program (its roughly $17 on Amazon.ca).  This book was written by a registered dietition - Sue Ekserci - AND one of the surgeons who performs the various bariatric surgeries - Dr. Klein (he's actually the one who will be doing my surgery next month).  This book is a BIBLE for information as well as contains recipes for you after surgery.  This book reminds everyone that yes, the surgeons do the surgery but we still need to do all the work and change our lifestyles under their (and the health care team's) guidance in order to reach our goal for a better life.  

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

pink7sadie
on 6/19/13 3:12 am

Just thought I'd give one last response... My Dr.s office called me today to confirm that my forms were faxed!  So hopefully I am now OFFICIALLY REFERRED!

Pawsitive_One
on 6/19/13 3:55 am
RNY on 07/02/13

That's great to hear Sadie!  

As a precaution, I would still call the Bariatric Center to confirm that they received it....you just never know! 

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

Julia P.
on 6/21/13 7:43 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Great news!  Definitely write back or call the bariatric registry in another week or so to make sure they received it!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

Izada
on 6/22/13 6:06 am - Canada

I would strongly encourage you to look at the admission process for surgery that is outlined on the website for the Ontario Bariatric Registry.  

It also has an app that shows you which centre your referral would have been routed to.  Make sure your gp followed the correct procedure, and that your address, postal, and phone number are correct- that can create issues with the referral itself, and also the centre's attempts to reach you.

While it's still possible for things to fall through the cracks, this process is audited so usually there is a hold up with the information gathering or following up because of misinformation these days.

Most Active
Recent Topics