OHIP and Parameters for consideration for approval of Pannilectomy etc

Mary A.
on 7/3/13 4:04 am

I have been asked for the following several times so I thought I would create a thread for it, that was if someone searches OHIP this should show up.

Please note that this is posted by OHIP and these are the parameters of CONSIDERATION...and I am sure that OHIP has a much more lengthy guidelines.

It doesn't mean that because you or even your surgeon feel you meet these criteria that you will be automatically approved for surgery.

PDF] Appendix D - Ontario

www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/.../append.pdf Appendix D April 1, 2012 ..... Panniculectomy is only insured in the following cir****tances and when ... approval of the General Manager of OHIP is required.

SUB-SURFACE PATHOLOGY

16. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin

a. Panniculectomy is only insured in the following cir****tances and when prior authorization of payment is obtained from the MOHLTC:

i. where there is significant associated symptomatology related to the pannus;

ii. where the pannus extends to a level below the pubis symphysis; and

iii. where the patient’s weight has been stable for a minimum of 6 months when panniculectomy is requested in relation to weight loss.

b. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin other than for panniculectomy is not an insured service.

[Commentary:

Examples of significant clinical symptomatology include significant pain, chronic skin breakdown, and recurrent cellulitis and/or ulcers.]

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Ottawa34
on 7/4/13 4:38 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Thank you for posting this...  Did you go through your family physician or through your bariatric center for referral ?

Amy

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Mary A.
on 7/4/13 10:42 pm
On July 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM Pacific Time, Ottawa34 wrote:

Thank you for posting this...  Did you go through your family physician or through your bariatric center for referral ?

Amy

I do not have the services of the bariatric clinic as my surgery was performed over 4 years ago in Minnesota, so I went to my follow-up doctor and because of the limited access to plastic surgeons here in Thunder Bay (there was 1) that did everything from toes repair to mastectomy etc

..I choose to be referred to a wonderful female plastic surgeon in Scarborough that is an expert on breast reconstruction and bariatric surgeries

I am not sure how things are handled in Ottawa and Southern Ontario, as you have much more abundant choices in every type of physician..so maybe someone from your area who has had plastic surgery will respond also.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics